addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Onyx Community Connection Message Board › Stern Grove Anita Baker Concert on Sunday- important details on the event an

Stern Grove Anita Baker Concert on Sunday- important details on the event and meeting up (READ ME!)

Lakeisha
user 2378387
Group Organizer
Redwood City, CA
Hi folks,

Happy Friday! I hope everyone had a great week. I'm writing because you are signed up to go to the Stern Grove concert this Sunday featuring the legendary sultry singer Anita Baker. So excited!

We've been going to Stern Grove concerts for several years and they are truly one of my favorite summer events in the bay area.The concerts are free and they bring such a diverse array of people together.

1. Parking around Stern Grove. If you arrive early, parking won't be much of a hassle. There is plenty of parking along 19th street before Sloat (again, if you get there early). If you arrive later, you may have to park a bit further out so bring some comfortable walking shoes.

2. Finding the group. Tyese and her friends plan to arrive early so we should have a space close to the front. You probably should spot me easily since I'm 34 weeks pregnant at the moment. That said, please make sure you charge up your cell phone the night before and take it will you to the concert. My number is 408 580 4103- please input it into your cellphone now so that you can call me when you arrive and help you locate the group. Take it from experience when I say there's nothing worse than getting to a meetup event and realizing that you have no way to identify the group among the crowd (do you go around bashfully asking every cluster of black folks???) Please note- the earlier you arrive, the more likely it is that I will get your call (I may put it down once the concert starts).

3. Arrive early. Since (1) this is the opening day concert, (2) Stern Grove is hosting a fundraiser right before the concert and (3) the legendary Anita Baker is performing, I think it would be best for us all to assume that the place is going to be packed early which means that if you want to go, I would advise getting there earlier rather than later. Please note that the concert does have a capacity limit so if you come in at 1:58 pm, they may not let you in unless you can get one of the people already inside to come get you (and even then... no promises). Another important reason to arrive early is because I cannot hold down space for 81 people single handed. Usually around 11:00-12:00 or so, the Stern Grove folks make people with big blankets covering prime real estate move their blankets unless there are bodies on it. So, please try to arrive early. I have listed the start time as 10:30 am even though the concert does not start to 2:00 pm and I plan on arriving at 8:30 am (a full hour after Tyese's group). So yeah.

But what in the world are you to do in a park for that long, you ask? Actually, hanging out before the concert is one of the best aspects of going (though it was notably funner when I could drink alcohol but I digress). I would suggest you bring lots of entertainment (games to play, music to listen to), tasty food and beverages, that book you've been procrastinating about reading, work you'd otherwise ignore until Monday morning, etc. Most of the time, we end up chatting and hanging out, which is really great but it's nice to have an array of options.

If for some reason you can't arrive early, I'm not suggesting that you skip the concert- just realize that getting in may be more of hassle and be mentally prepared for that. We might not have a huge space for you to sit but we have always been able to make our space work. We'll just be cozy :)

4. Stuff to bring. I just checked the weather for what it's worth and it looks to be around 64 degrees in SF on Sunday. I'd suggest layering so you're comfortable. I always bring a hat as well. If you have one of those low lying chairs (the seat is on the ground), I'd bring that. Regular lawn chairs won't be allowed. I'm bringing some blankets but it never hurts to bring an extra blanket just in case we run short. Finally, as I mentioned in the point above, bring food, water and other beverages. I would suggest that you bring stuff to share with the group and stuff to keep you happy from the morning until the end of the concert around 4:00 pm. If you do run out of food or if you want something else (like garlic fries), they sell food right outside the concert. But seriously, we usually have an array of tasty things to eat and drink between all of us. Tentatively, I plan to bring hummus, bread, cheese, veggies, fruit, a big sandwich and lots of water.

So okay, I think that's all the critical stuff. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate the contact me. I look forward to seeing you soon!

-Lakeisha

A former member
Post #: 8
Thanks Lakeisha!

All of it is TRUE.

I thought 7:30AM was early enough to save space in the front. I friend said....We need to arrive at 7:00AM! OK - So maybe you dont come at 7...but how about 8am?! Anyway...the park will be SUPER CROWDED. Last time people arrived at 8am and all space in the upper section was reserved already. We would like to all sit together but we need your help:). I plan to bring veggie stuff like black bean salad, vegetables, but bring substantial things like meats, etc:). If you are in a hurry, stop and get a platter of chicken wings at Safeway LOL.

Any volunteers to get there EARLY with us to reserve space?!!!

Oh- the park may close at 12pm if its at capacity. Since its the opening day, I also recommend to arrive before then.

Thanks,
Tyese