addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Open Data Science (Hosted by ODSC) Message Board › Boston Data Mining Update: data-centric events, new meetup group, and traini

Boston Data Mining Update: data-centric events, new meetup group, and training offer

This message board is read-only.

Sheamus M.
user 14106978
Belmont, MA
We had another great event Tuesday night and I'd like to share some other events of interest, a training offer from one of our sponsors, and a new meetup we are working on.
Outside of our regular monthly meeting, Boston Data mining will co-host an event with Boston Predictive Analytics titled “Network Analytics Meets Text Mining for Social Media Analysis” on October 3rd. I’ll be sending out the event details shortly.
Rob Speer from Luminoso will be giving a talk titled “How Text Becomes Data” and that will take place at Hack/Reduce on Tuesday October 1st.  More details at.
http://www.hackreduce.org/ai1ec_event/how-text-becomes-data/?instance_id=499­

Also NEAI’s Monthly meetup takes place on Monday September 16th at Hack/Reduce. Brian Ruttenberg will be giving a talk on “Probabilistic Programming and the Democratization of AI”.
Details at;
http://www.meetup.com/intelligence/events/128824012/­

Predictive Analytics World will be in Boston at the end of September and Boston Predictive Analytics will host a lightning talks round from 5:30 pm to 9 pm at the Seaport World Trade Center. Details at
http://www.meetup.com/Boston-Predictive-Analytics/events/127127222/­

RapidMiner Training:

One of our main sponsors, RapidMiner, has offered us a discount code for their upcoming training session that will be presented by David Weismann, one our members and a frequent speaker. The code is MEETUP_BOS and gives a $400 discount off the REGULAR ticket (you have to choose the Regular ticket to get the discount).

The link to the courses is here: http://rapid-i.eventb...­ and short synopses are:

Introduction to Data Mining and Predictive Analytics with RapidMiner - Sept. 24-25
This two-day training course is a compact introduction into the foundations of data mining and business analytics as well as into the software RapidMiner. After taking this course, participants will have a complete understanding of how the Rapid-I software works and is used. The overall data mining process is covered as well as the foundations of the software. Participants will be able to create predictive models in standard data environments typically found within most analyst positions. From the high number of practical exercises, the participants will be able to transfer the knowledge gained to their own data mining problems and solve them quickly and easily.

Advanced Text and Web Mining Techniques with RapidMiner and RapidAnalytics - Sept. 26-27
This intermediate-level training course is an introduction into knowledge discovery from unstructured data like text documents. It focuses on the necessary preprocessing steps and the most successful methods for automatic text classification (including Naive Bayes and Support Vector Machines, SVM) and text clustering. Many practical exercises for different settings (for example e-mail spam detection, automatic e-mail routing, adaptive personal news filtering, sentiment analysis of text documents like news, web pages, blogs, e-mail, or PDF documents) will enable the participants to transfer the gained knowledge to own text mining problems.

New Meetup Group:

And finally a new meetup group to consider. I may detect a collective groan (not another meetup!). Although BDM is a fairly recent meetup, I want to keep it true to it’s original mission of providing education talks related to data mining and analysis. In contrast to this mission, I’ve had quite a few people express interest in presenting their innovative company, startup, product idea etc. This new meetup, called DataCentric, will provide a format for startups and others in the Boston area to showcase some of the great innovations taking place around data. If this sounds appealing, sign up at the link below; if we get some traction we will make it happen.

http://www.meetup.com/DataCentric-Innovation-in-Data­

See you at the next meetup.

Best,
Sheamus