addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Open Table - Asheville Message Board The Open Table of Asheville Discussion Forum › What's up with the "Christian" topics?

What's up with the "Christian" topics?

Jeremy M
jeremymacdonald
Asheville, NC
Post #: 2
As a few of you may have noticed, we have had a couple of Christian topics posted on the Meetup calendar. I know many people in this group have been burned by religion, and so something like this may upset several members. I, therefore, wanted to explain why I have posted a couple of meetups like this.

First, I try to make the Open Table a group that is open to everyone. On our calendar, we have had new moon festival meetups, meditation sessions, and many things relating to New Age ideas and open spirituality. We've also had discussions centered on skepticism. If someone wanted to host some meetups on Buddhism or Taoism (which is something that I enjoy studying/attempting to practice), I would love it.

In the past few months, I have had some members ask if we could do occasional meetings on the side for those who are looking for Christian community, but have pretty well given up on the church. I hesitated at first because I was afraid it would bother people. But after a while, I decided that if we are truly to be open as the name Open Table suggests, then there's no reason to be open to everyone except Christians.

So, there you have it. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, complaints smile
Ron C.
RonCzecholinski
Asheville, NC
Post #: 2
I hope Open Table would be open to everyone. No apologies - just understanding and respect.
A former member
Post #: 7
Thank you Jeremy, this is very good formulation of your opinion and very related to me...
A former member
Post #: 9
Jeremy, I think your conclusion is a good one. Not because I fall into the category of Christian interest, but because as you said, the group is called open table! I was born to a Christian family, I went thru a certain amount of disillusionment. My path has taken me to many schools of thought and after many years of study, I have come to understand that everyone is where they need to be. The most important thing I have learned is to respect each person's beliefs. We do not have to agree with all viewpoints, but we can continue to grow by being open and listening...
I will be returning to Asheville in the spring. I look forward to joining the conversation
Jean
A former member
Post #: 38
As a believer and follower of Jesus Christ I often feel a little withdrawn from the term 'Christian' because a lot of people have a tendency to group all Christians in with the catholic crusaders, homophobes and TV evangelists. However, I have looked into and studied many philosophies and You know what I wish? I wish people would just stop labeling groups and judge all people as individuals and get to know them on their own merit and consider all human beings a community with much diversity but human nonetheless. These days people not only want you to accept their lifestyle, political orientation, religious affiliation, etc.... but to also praise it. I want to love all people like Jesus did. And I will not be a part of celebrating someone's gayness, religiousness, color, gender, etc. Racism, as an example, will never go away as long as we acknowledge someone as another race. We give power to things in this world that we should not. Our power should be consumed in treating one another as we would want to be treated. So, I guess what I am saying is I'm not pro-gay, pro-race, pro-gender, pro-religion...I AM PRO-HUMAN. Anything less only divides us and does not unite us.