addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

The Nerd Herd - SE PA Message Board › Soundtrack geeks sound off

Soundtrack geeks sound off

A former member
Post #: 81
A go all a-flutter for soundtracks. What are your favorites?
Here is my top ten list
1) The Lord of The Rings , Shore
2) Glory , Horner
3) Wrath of Khan , Horner
4) The Last Valley ,Barry
4) Star Trek First Contact , Goldsmith
5) The Empire Strikes Back, Williams
6) Mishima ,Glass
7) Gladiator , Zimmer
8) Conan The Barbarian ,Poledouris
9) Crouching Tiger , Tan Dun
10) Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Williams

Honorable Mention to the music for the Sherlock Holmes TV series (Yes, I am so dorky I own it) and The Thirteenth Warrior.
A former member
Post #: 61
OMG, I totally could have written this list!!! With LOTR at #1, of course!

I even have an LOTR station on my Pandora so I get to hear a lot of these all the time!
The Dark Knight, Elizabeth, The Golden Age and Pirates of the Caribbean (even though the movie sucked) have some good stuff on them also. Some of Avatar's soundtrack is OK too.

Carmina Burana isn't exactly a soundtrack per se, but it's wicked cool just the same. I have actually seen it twice.
Andy
user 9919853
Woodbury, NJ
Post #: 19
Oddly enough, even though I was a huge LOTR fan as a kid - must have read the books ten or fifteen times, neither the movie nor the soundtrack did anything for me. Life's funny that way sometimes.

Since soundtracks are different animals depending on the movie and the theme, I wouldn't order my top ten list. On a side note, haven't seen the Last Valley and never heard of Mishima - will have to look those up.

I'd keep (listed alphabetically since they're all good):
- Conan the Barbarian, Poledouris
- Crouching Tiger, Tan Dun
- The Empire Strikes Back, Williams
- Gladiator, Zimmer
- Glory, Horner
- Wrath of Khan, Horner

Raiders is a tough call - the theme music is an absolute classic, but I don't remember enough of the rest of the music to put the whole soundtrack in there.

I'd definitely add:
- The Abyss, Horner
- The Mission, Morricone
- Star Wars, Williams

The last slot's a tough one. For me it'd be a toss up between:
- Black Hawk Down, Zimmer
- Henry V, Doyle
- Last of the Mohicans, Trevor Jones
- Rob Roy, Burwell
- The Thin Red Line, Zimmer

Also partial to the assorted John Carpenter soundtracks (Escape From New York, The Thing, etc.), and the themes from Terminator and Predator. There are a lot of classical pieces that get heavy use as well, such as "Mars, Bringer of War" (Holst).

Andy,
another soundtrack addict
A former member
Post #: 83
That is a great list, Andy!
I was listening to Last O' the Mohicans just the other day.
A former member
Post #: 17
I love so many film scores. Alan Silvestri 's score for Back to the Future, John Williams' E.T. score, etc....

but my favorite is easily Jerry Goldsmith's score for 'Explorers'
A former member
Post #: 65
There is a lot of Gladiator on my station today. This is a good thing.

A former member
Post #: 3
I'm all for Christopher Franke's work for Babylon 5, especially the music written for Sleeping in Light. The backdrop for the end of the station - even just listening to the soundtrack you KNOW the music commemorates the end.
Jeff
user 13675075
Pottstown, PA
Post #: 2
I used to blast John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, and James Horner while driving my car down the highway. One underappreciated composer is Bruce Broughton (Lost in Space, Silverado).
A former member
Post #: 25
I'm all for Christopher Franke's work for Babylon 5, especially the music written for Sleeping in Light. The backdrop for the end of the station - even just listening to the soundtrack you KNOW the music commemorates the end.

I love Babylon 5!
A former member
Post #: 26
I've been in such a Tron mode recently. I've been listening to Wendy Carlos' score for the '82 original AND the Daft Punk score for 'Tron Legacy' quite a bit.

Both are great.

But fair warning:track has tracks by Journey in addition to Wendy Carlos's score. Journey's 'Only Solutions' can and probably WILL get stuck in your head for days....