addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Portland WordPress Meetup Message Board › pricing a theme change

pricing a theme change

Marsha L.
catwingz
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
I have been approached about changing the theme on an established site from one based on a good framework to another theme with a very different layout. There will be changes to the content as well, but I would like to get some feedback on how some of you would go about pricing this type of project. Considering the unknowns of the differences between the two builds I am leaning towards quoting a range of "best case to worst case" but that leaves a lot of room for improvement! Thank you in advance.
Lorelle V.
Lorellev
North Plains, OR
Post #: 8
Sorry for the delay. We are all still new yearing. :D

There should be no difference in your rates for web design work as this is just a Theme change. Will you have to really change the content? Or is it just a search and replace of headings and such in the database?

Depending upon your experience and current rates, $50 an hour is standard for things like this. An experienced person in WordPress could probably do this in an hour or two, honestly, if it doesn't include building the Theme or redesigning it but implementing one already created.

I recently published http://lorelle.wordpr...­ with information on WordPress pricing and rates which might help.
Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 32
It really depends. If the first theme has two columns, and the new theme has three columns then there is much more work involved. Also, if the first theme has a large file size for functions.php then it will take more effort to move this over to your new theme.

Bloggers swap out themes with a single button click, however if you are talking about a commercial web site with dozens of pages, multiple custom page templates, etc. then it takes development effort, not just a single click.