addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Hip & Well Read Message Board › Summer 2012's Classic Read

Summer 2012's Classic Read

Closed to new replies

Michelle
user 8289180
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 56
Good point, Steve.

We hadn't really defined "classic read" outside of not "contemporary" which we very loosely define as within 10 years old.

So perhaps we should take that into consideration.
There's the defnition of "classic" from a car perspective = 20 years.
Or we could arbitrarily choose 50 years?
Zachary W.
user 42823812
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
I'd like to throw a couple options into the ring:

The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Z
Michelle
user 8289180
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 58
I'll second the Flannery O'Connor.
Sue
user 4586879
Philadelphia, PA
How about the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath or Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde? I love classic summer read! Huzzah!
A former member
Post #: 3
I'll second the Moviegoer. I'd never heard of it before. Just read a description, though, and it sounds interesting.
A former member
Could I add a couple of suggestions by women writers as there only seemed to be one, Edith Wharton, so far

So here it goes:

Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
Aphra Behn, Oroonoko
Angela Carter, The Passion of New Eve

Thanks!

Jennifer
Ketki
user 14616836
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 2
Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath or Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde sounds interesting!
A former member
Post #: 160
It's summer can't we read something fun?

The World According to Garp by John Irving

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Candide by Voltaire

I have a serious one too

THE CRUCIBLE- A.Miller
Greg
gseaberg
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 11
Hasn't everyone who wants to read Vonnegut already read Vonnegut?

Please no Jane Austen. tongue

I'll second The Master and Margarita by by Mikhail Bulgakov.

Also, I think length should be an important consideration here. I didn't even come close to finishing Anna Karenina before the meet-up last summer. I loved Midnight's Children, but it clocks in at over 500 pages, and The Satanic Verses is in the same range.
Michelle
user 8289180
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 59
I'd agree that I'd prefer in all cases (whether it's the summer read or regular read) that we try to expand our shelves and read things we've never read before. Otherwise, what's the point.

But another purpose of the summer classic read is to get the chance to read those classics that you should have read, but didn't. So, enough votes and so it goes.

I also prefer to avoid Jane Austen. But will do the people's bidding if that is what the people prefer. We could also stretch it out into 2 months of summer reads, August and September to get a range of books. I think we did that last year, right? => Lolita and East of Eden.

And we probably should consider length. But best I can do is warn... this is a long one, vote for it at your own risk.

Keep the discussion going guys and I'll plan on posting a poll by the end of the month!