addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

The Phoenix Atheists Meetup Group Message Board General Discussion Forum › 10 Questions to Candidates...............and responses

10 Questions to Candidates...............and responses

Matt S
Mach1Matty
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 187
With the upcoming election cycle we have formulated a list of “10 Questions to Ask Your Candidates”.

Your Phoenix Atheist Meetup Group Organizers have drafted a letter explaining who we are and have mailed it and the 10 Questions to John McCain and Barak Obama as well as to 114 state candidates for Arizona State Senate and House of Representatives as listed in the Citizens Clean Elections Commission candidate statement booklet and that list a physical addresses. We have emailed the letter and 10 questions to 30 other candidates with no physical addresses listed. The approximate cost of this effort was $85 paid for by several organizers private funds. Money well spent!

The goal of this effort is to 1) produce a more informed non-theistic voter by receiving responses to questions that concern the non-theistic community and, 2) to raise the consciousness of candidates that a non-theistic constituency in fact exists.

Although we expect that responses to the 10 Questions are unlikely for political reasons we feel the goal of “consciousness raising” is just as important and can be met.

The 10 Questions deal with subjects such as First Amendment issues of the principle of separation of church and state, legislation of religious dogmas and tenants, education and religious influences on education, professional and social acceptance of non-theists, and science and social issues and how religion may effect and interfere with each.

Logistically we are unable to send the 10 Questions to candidates below the state level elections but we encourage members to print the 10 Questions and send them to your candidates for local office. From school board to sheriff to county commissioner, every candidate in the state of Arizona should have their consciousness raised by receiving the 10 Questions.

The more candidates that receive the 10 Questions the more exposure the non-theistic community receives. Imagine a day when an elected officials stops to think of their non-theistic constituency while contemplating a legislative vote or the added weight he/she may attribute to a received letter from a non-theistic citizen knowing that they are representative of greater numbers.

We have sent out a press release to some media to coincide with the candidate questionnaires being sent. Please reference this link to view the Letter to Candidates, the 10 Questions, and the Press Release. Feel free to print and send the letter signed by the Organizers or formulate your own to accompany the 10 Questions and send them off to your local candidates for public office. Also, feel free to send the press release to your local papers and media outlets.

We will post answered questionnaires on the message board for your viewing pleasure.
Holly S.
heavysilver
Group Organizer
Tempe, AZ
Post #: 21
Well Done!
slightlyfleury
user 5944125
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 1
Wow, great work! Thank you!
A former member
Post #: 2
Check out:
WWW.SECULAR.ORG
The Secular Coalition for America lobbies congress to promote secular governance.
"Americans who do not believe in God have decided it`s time they had a lobbyist in the nation`s capital." - USA Today, 9/19/2005
"Many nontheists...have decided that keeping silent in religious America no longer makes sense... [The Secular Coalition for America]
intend to stand up vigorously for their rights."
"...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." - Article V1. U.S. Constitution
Jude
MzSimone
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 2
I appreciate your effort & look forward to seeing the candidates' replies . . . if they ever respond!
Matt S
Mach1Matty
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 189
10 Questions and Intro Letter

Be sure to print and send or download the file from the "File" tab on the left and email to your candidates for public office.

Many seats for US House of Representatives are up for election as well as local, county, and state positions.

HOW TO FIND YOUR candidates

Arizona Democratic Party

Arizona Republican Party

Arizona Libertarian Party

A qeneral resource Website

I just sent the Letter and 10 Questions to my Candidates for US House of Representatives District 6 (parts of Mesa, AJ, Queen Creek).
Shannon M. S.
TheShanMan
Tempe, AZ
Post #: 221
I got a call from a canidate who knows me at work, he said he will be replying!
Matt S
Mach1Matty
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 190
holy crap................
Matt S
Mach1Matty
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 199
PAULA S. FORSTER
DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE
AZ HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES LD#4

1) Given a legislative voting scenario that presents you with a direct conflict between your religious beliefs/values and your duties to uphold the Constitution which do you choose and how would you make that decision?
ANSWER: As a member of the House of Representatives I will uphold the Constitution. I will not let my religious beliefs interfere with my decisions.

2) What is your position regarding prayer while acting in your official capacity as an elected official and what role if any do you think prayer should play in the legislative body you wish to hold?
ANSWER: I do not believe that our governmental bodies should have prayer before their meetings. There are many different religions in attendance and also those who do not believe in any religion. We need to be respectful of everyone.

3) What is your position on enacting law that has religious tenets and/or dogma as its main motivation and reasoning?
ANSWER: I would be against it. If it is a law that makes sense and is good for Arizona residents it should not be based on religious tenets.

4) Is it acceptable for elected officials to hold back or alter scientific reports if they conflict with their own views, and how will you balance scientific information with politics and personal beliefs in your decision-making?
ANSWER: My reason for running is to improve Arizona. I am not running to push my own agenda or beliefs. The sad part is that politicians allow their religious beliefs to determine their decisions. I will be working to improve health care, education and the environment.

5) Should the modern synthesis of Creationism known as “Intelligent Design” be taught in the public school and is it acceptable for religious ideology to interfere in science?
ANSWER: Religion needs to be kept out of public schools. I believe in science and dinosaurs and the beginning of mankind. All of this has been proven by scientific data. Students have an opportunity to learn about different beliefs when they get to college.

Phoenix Atheist Meetup Group Page 1 of 2
6) Would you allow a non theistic individual (atheist, humanist, freethinker, etc) to openly serve on your staff?
ANSWER: YES. I was unaware that religious beliefs were part of the hiring practices.

7) What is your position on a constitutional amendment to define marriage and if in favor of a constitutional amendment to define marriage are your motivations religious or secular?
ANSWER: The Arizona Constitution already states marriage is between one man and one woman. We don’t need any constitutional amendments to the constitution. Arizona already voted down any changes once. I have no problem supporting gay marriages as allowed in California. I have a problem that our representatives create such turmoil when it comes to gay marriage but does not uphold the constitution against polygamy.

8) What is your position on abstinence only sex education?
ANSWER: I am against it. It should be obvious with the high rate of teen pregnancies that abstinence only does not work. We need to teach all aspects of birth control including abstinence. We need to teach our kids that you can say no to sex. We need to teach kids self-respect and that there are consequences to having sex and getting pregnant. We need to continue to make young people aware of HIV/AIDS and STD’s.

9) What is your position on government regulation and funding of stem cell
research?
ANSWER: I believe that stem cell research will help save many lives and it must be continued. I do not believe that we should be creating a fetus to do stem cell research.

10) With regards specifically to the establishment of the United States as a
nation, the history of the United States, and the law of the United States do you consider our country to be a “Christian Nation”?
ANSWER: The United States is a melting pot of many ethnic groups and religions. We are not a Christian Nation, although there are many religious groups that think we are. I am of the Jewish faith and have my own religious beliefs.
Matt S
Mach1Matty
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 200
Danielle Tomerlin
Pinal County Supervisor
District #2
Republican Candidate

Dear Atheist Group,

Thank you for taking the time to learn the candidates.

I appreciate your sincere questions and I have responded in the attached document.

Best Regards,

Danielle Tomerlin
Pinal County Supervisor District #2 Republican Candidate
Vote Sept 2, 2008 to keep me on the ballot!
www.Tomerlin.com

10 QUESTIONS FOR CANDIDATES

1) Given a legislative voting scenario that presents you with a direct conflict between your religious beliefs/values and your duties to uphold the Constitution which do you choose and how would you make that decision?

Any politician’s duty is to enforce/uphold the laws of our country. There are processes in place to change any laws that are seen as outdated or wrong, but it is absolutely not a politician’s prerogative to shape the laws to their personal religious beliefs.

2) What is your position regarding prayer while acting in your official capacity as an elected official and what role if any do you think prayer should play in the legislative body you wish to hold?

I really do not think private religious beliefs have any place in public venue. Respecting the constitution includes the separation of church and state. Public recognition of any particular religious value (which tends to be the dominant belief in any particular area) leads to exclusion of all other beliefs be they religious or non-religious. The ongoing controversy over the Ten Commandments being posted in government buildings, however innocent seeming to the people involved, if a perfect example. The first commandment being “worship no other gods before me” tends to imply all other beliefs are not wanted here.

3) What is your position on enacting law that has religious tenets and/or dogma as its main motivation and reasoning?

See the first amendment

4) Is it acceptable for elected officials to hold back or alter scientific reports if they conflict with their own views, and how will you balance scientific information with politics and personal beliefs in your decision-making?

The wonderful thing about science is that it is objective. We learn from our ideas being wrong just as often as when they are right. To corrupt that process by falsifying results to score political points is a travesty. The recent NASA issues with politically appointed spokesmen changing data to fit the current political climate should have raised a bigger flag than it did, and charges should have been brought against him.

5) Should the modern synthesis of Creationism known as “Intelligent Design” be taught in the public school and is it acceptable for religious ideology to interfere in science?

Pseudoscience is not science and never will be. It is my view that people are trying their hardest to get around the first amendment and tailoring their ideas to seem legitimate instead of untestable dogma.

6) Would you allow a non theistic individual (atheist, humanist, freethinker, etc) to openly serve on your staff?

Of course.

7) What is your position on a constitutional amendment to define marriage and if in favor of a constitutional amendment to define marriage are your motivations religious or secular?

I believe marriage is a social contract between two individuals. There is nothing on the books to prevent a marriage between an 18-year old and a 98-year old, which to me seems far stranger than a same sex marriage. I also believe a constitutional amendment would be a purely religious agenda, and I am against that.

8) What is your position on abstinence only sex education?

Studies and personal experiences have shown abstinence only education not only does not work, it is clearly a religious agenda. The fact that federal funding is tied to this is also wrong.

9) What is your position on government regulation and funding of stem cell research?

This is a tough one. Initially I was against the obvious political interference in a very valuable line of research. In this environment scientists have been forced to try, and had some success, in creating stem cells out of regular tissue. In the end I think we came out better, if not for the wrong reasons to begin with. There should be a line we do not cross in the pursuit of knowledge. Where that is, is also a fundamentally moral issue.

10) With regards specifically to the establishment of the United States as a nation, the history of the United States, and the law of the United States do you consider our country to be a “Christian Nation”?

Many of our founding fathers would disagree with that statement. People are certainly trying to make it one. I on the other hand will refer yet again to the first amendment. To make it a Christian Nation implies there is no room for any other thought. Religious extremists of any sort are inherently a dangerous thing.