addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board Shameless Advertising Board › Archive: Original Shameless Board

Archive: Original Shameless Board

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 8
Hey members.

I just wanted to let you know on our soon to launch site StudioBin. This is an online store that will be selling photography equipment and accessories. Some of our products will include studio lighting kits, light stands, soft boxes and background support. One of the reasons we started StudioBin was the lack of competitively priced products available locally. Ordering from the US at times can be troublesome and hopefully our store will give enthusiast in Canada an alternative. Additionally we will have local pickup available to our customers around the GTA.

In the future we will be hosting product showcase events and will be an open invite to meetup photography members and enthusiast. This will give us an opportunity to meet you all and in return a chance for you to see and evaluate our products first hand.

Anyone interested can enroll in our mailing list at our website www.StudioBin.com. Also a facebook fan page will launch with the website launch. We will be giving out 25 vouchers worth $20 each for future purchase from our online store. To be eligible all one needs to do is enroll in our mailing list and add our "StudioBin" page on Facebook.

If you mention Meetup - "The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group" you will receive a $10 discount on your first order** (Please email for details)

Thanks for your time.

The StudioBin Team
Trevor G.
user 12146819
Calgary, AB
Post #: 1
None of you know me yet, as I'm a new member. (I didn't join the forum just to do this. Its merely coincidental) I joined it to meet like minded people. But I'm going to use the shameless board anyway, so here goes.

I recently lost my job, I'm not looking for pity or trolling for sympathy. I'm here looking for photography assistant work. I know assistant work isn't exactly a cash cow job, but any money is better then no income at all.

I have been a chef for 15 years now, and I can't do it anymore, for quite a few reasons. Reasons I could write a whole post about, but I'd rather not get into it. I'm not a bum, when I work, I work hard. I've been told I'm like a machine when I work. So know that when I work for you, I'm going to give everything, I can give, and not screw around.

My wife works for RBC, and we have enough income for me to find and re-invent myself. She is happy that I'm not a chef anymore and she says she'd be happier if I was unemployed then to get another cook job. Am I looking to become a photographer? I'm not sure what direction I'll end up in, I'm just looking for work ATM. If all I get out of this is a few gigs and some experience, I'll be happy.

So why do I want to be an assistant? Because I really love photography, and I love taking pictures. I love experimenting, trying new things and learning. Right now I need to do something I love. Like I said I'm not expecting the moon with assistant work, I'm looking to become a better photographer, while making a little scratch here and there. So if you have a difficult job coming up, and need some help, I would love to help you. I want this to be a win-win arrangement, I help you, you help me.

I have equipment of my own, nothing fancy but I'm working on it. I do research galore, read books, read online, take tons of pictures, experiment, and I'm not afraid of but welcome criticism. So I have enough knowledge that I should/hopefully know what your talking about, if you ask me to do something.

But you can't know the real me without talking to me in person. So please send me a email by clicking on my user name and we can arrange to meet for coffee, come to your studio, or whatever is convenient. Right now my schedule is open, I'm not afraid of long hours, mornings nights, weekends etc.

Thanks for reading. smile
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 291
Hi!

Wendy and Russ' popular photography classes will be starting up again in fall 2010, exploring creativity and personal expression in photography. Class sizes are very small (max 8 people), so they have historically filled up fast. There is lots of information about us, the classes and our own personal work on our website: http://RusselKwan.com or http://WendyKwan.com .

cheers,
Russ
Trish
TrishR
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 417
I received this email today and will post in its entirety here in case anyone is interested. I suggest if anyone wishes to get involved, and receive info from them, it's probably best to contact them directly. Please note the offer is from a commercial photography school in Dallas TX and they are calling this a "national" contest -- so first check to ensure Canadians can participate:

What Tom Maddrey wrote:
--------------------------------------­--------------------------
Hello!

My name is Tom Maddrey, and I am the Founder of the Eclipse
Photography Institute based in Dallas, TX. We have just started
our first national photography contest, called The Lux Awards
(www.TheLuxAwards.com). In my career, I have often had the
pleasure to speak at various camera clubs and Meetup groups
across the country, and it has always been something I truly
enjoyed. I wanted to see if you and your club would be
interested in receiving some informational cards about The Lux
Awards. This contest is sponsored by many companies including
Lowepro, Lensbaby and Westcott, just to name a few. There are
four categories Sports, Nature, Travel, and Portraits, and our
Prize list is truly second to none.

For example, the winner of the Nature photography competition
will be invited to attend a 12 day all expenses paid Workshop
to Juneau and Denali Alaska in the Summer of 2011. The top
three Sports Category finalists will be flown to California to
attend a private three day workshop with Pulitzer Prize winning
photographer Rick Rickman. We are also giving away over $15,000
in camera gear, bags, and more. Our Judges include Rick
Rickman, Charlie Borland, Jack Hollingsworth, and many more.

The contest began on July 1st, and runs through October 15th.
Because we are a new competition, and not too many people know
about us this year, we suspect the odds of winning would be
better this year than any other. I would like to send your club
some informational cards, and have them passed out at a meeting
in the near future. If you think this might be interesting to
your members, please let me know how many members are in your
group, and where I can mail the cards. Thank you in advance for
your time! If this email is better served passed on to someone
else, please feel free to do so!

Tom Maddrey

Eclipse Photography Institute
Pro-Level Training for Serious Photographers

w: www.eclipseinstitute.com
e: tom.maddrey@ eclipseinstitute.com
b: blog.eclipseinstitute.com
f: facebook.com/eclipseinstitute
t: twitter.com/eclipseinst
travelshooter
travelshooter
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 10
for those who have been asking for a really great workshop for Digital SLR owners:

Digital Color Photography Workshop

with Stuart Dee
August 21, 2010

Back by popular demand, this workshop is suited for all levels, from beginning amateurs to more advanced photographers. It includes informal discussions, live demonstrations, shooting exercises, digital slide presentations, and critiques of student work. A major part of the workshop is spent shooting on location. Students will have a lot of free time outdoors, using beautiful Vancouver as a subject to try new tips, ideas and techniques learned during the workshop.
Stuart Dee’s work reflects a passion for creating vibrant, unique images in exotic locales worldwide. He has travelled to over 300 destinations in forty countries capturing stunning images. His work is represented internationally by Getty Images, and has been published in countless magazines and ads worldwide.

Sharpening your Photographic Vision: For great photography, the most essential requirement is great vision. One may be familiar with photographic basics but want to have better creative control of the medium to achieve pre-visualized results more consistently. Participants will not only learn to see in new ways but also gain a solid foundation to support their vision and to encourage a more creative and intelligent approach to picture-making. Visual perception, colour theory, light and lighting, aesthetics, composition, metering, filters, camera controls, digital imaging, basic Photoshop controls and other topics may be discussed in relation to creating great images, including people, animals, nature, cities, landscapes, close-ups or architecture.
Other topics may include: preparing for travel, location shooting, equipment, photographing in foreign countries, model releases, covering a destination, shooting styles, how to shoot stock, copyright, how to sign on with an agency, getting your work published.

This year, there will be an optional Evening Extension for those who want to add a sunset shoot and more discussion and critiques

Included in the Workshop fee:
• Mentoring from Stuart
• Live model session
• Informal lecture and discussions, demos, tips and techniques along with pre- and post-workshop photo critique by Stuart

Advanced registration and payment required. Limited to 12 students, early registration recommended. Space is reserved for paid registrants and fees are non-refundable. Students can email up to 10 sample jpegs of their best work for the initial critique

FOR REGISTRATION FORM AND BROCHURE:

http://tinyurl.com/Ph...­

Stuart Dee

Stuart Dee studied Art History, Film, Painting, and Photography and received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of British Columbia.

Based in Vancouver, he has traveled extensively in over forty countries throughout Europe, Asia and the Americas. Specializing in people and destination photography, his travel images have been published in hundreds of magazines worldwide. The first book featuring his photography exclusively was APA Publication’s Insight Guide to Vancouver. His last book project was the award-winning coffee-table book, The Philippines Rediscovered. His recent travels include Switzerland, Buenos Aires, Egypt, Easter Island, Boracay, Cuba, Thailand, Malaysia, Paris, Dubai and Brazil.
His work is represented worldwide by Image Bank/Getty Images. He also teaches workshops on vision, color and travel photography, and writes travel articles.

Publications include: Alaska Airlines Magazine, American Photo, American Way, Avalon Travel Publishing, Diversion, Economist, En Route (Air Canada), Fodor’s, Frommer’s Budget Travel, FHM, Geo (French), Glamour, GQ, Insight Guide to Vancouver, Islands, Lonely Planet, Los Angeles Times, Maclean’s, Marie Claire, Maxim, Moon Handbooks, National Geographic, National Geographic Traveler, National Post, Nature Conservancy, New York Times, Nuvo, Outside Magazine, Photo Life, Photo Selection, Playboy, Popular Photography, Reader’s Digest, Skyward, Vancouver Sun
Clients include: American Express, AOL, Audi, Avis, BMW, British Airways Holidays, Cathay Pacific, Club Med, Coca-Cola, Continental Airlines, Disney, Expedia, Grand Circle Travel, Grey, Hachette, Hewlett Packard, Hertz, Hilton Hotels, Holland America, Honda, Kodak, Leo Burnett, Marriott International, McCann-Erickson, Mercedes, Microsoft, OgilvyOne Worldwide, Petronas, Princess Cruises, Saatchi & Saatchi, Samsung Electronics, Shell, Sony, Thomas Cook, Toshiba, Westin Hotels, Yahoo, Wilderness Travel

To see more images, visit www.studeeo.com

Mark
user 11639882
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 2
HI Everyone....

I am doing a survey for a project and would REALLY REALLY appreciate a lot of you to complete it. It will automatically go to my account so all you have to do is cut and paste it and complete it :-)

http://www.surveymonk...­

Thanks a whole bunch :-)
Mark
Trish
TrishR
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 429
Erica Foster sent a message to me to let us know about a
photo contest they are having at www.VancouverOnCanvas.com. The
contest, which runs from now until September 30th, will award
some great prizes to photographers able to capture the most
beautiful and interesting photos of our wonderful city. The
submissions can be anything from abstract to landscape, but
Vancouver must be the subject!

The prizes are as follows:
1st prize: $300.00 of printing credit from Vancouver On Canvas
2nd prize: $200.00 of printing credit from Vancouver On Canvas
3rd prize: $100.00 of printing credit from Vancouver On Canvas

How to enter:
To enter send up to 3 of your photos by email to
info @KeenArtMedia.com with "CAPTURE VANCOUVER - PHOTOGRAPHY
CONTEST" as the subject. Winners will be announced on October
6, 2010

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to email Erica marketing @keenartmedia.com. If you would
like more information about the contest, follow this link
http://www.vancouvero...­
David S.
David_Smith_tog
West Vancouver, BC
Post #: 10
FALL 2010 Digital Photography Class & Camera Workshop Schedule Announced

David Smith's popular series of digital photography and camera workshops for Vancouver, BC area photographers will be continued this Fall at West Vancouver's Ferry Building Gallery, Surrey Art Centre and North Vancouver's Park & Tilford Gardens. This Fall's offerings include full day Digital Camera Workshops for Beginners or Enthusiasts, Mastering Your Digital SLR or Point and Shoot Camera, and Editing and Sharing Your Digital Images.

In case you haven't heard David's presentations are known to inform, entertain and inspire! He teaches photography worldwide and will be taking a Fall break from 5 years of intensive traveling so he is able expand his class and workshop offerings this Fall until he and his wife Anna hit the adventure trails again in 2011.

For details of all the above offerings and more visit his Image by Interface web site Photography Training Page or view the online posters for each location

How to Register

To register online for the Digital Camera Workshops at the Park & Tilford Gardens visit our P&T Workshop Registration Page To register for any of the sessions at the Ferry Building Gallery call 604-925-7270 or at the Surrey Art Centre call 604-501-5100

For more information

Contact David Smith cell 604-818-7662 or visit our photography training site
Private tutoring available

David also tutors beginner, enthusiast and professional photographers digital and travel photography, use of cameras, flash systems, Photoshop Elements 7.0, Photoshop CS4, Adobe Bridge, Proshow Gold, Proshow Producer and location and studio lighting techniques, image workflow, marketing and stock photography subjects
A former member
Post #: 5
First of all, I would like thank Trish for pointing out that I placed my last post in the wrong section. She was concerned that I might be misusing the Meet Up message board for "commercial gain". This is not my intention, but I certainly do appreciate that she seems to have all of our best interests at heart.

ORIGINAL POST (with some minor changes):
I recently started doing some social media work for this Photo Workshop outfit based in New York. They host classes in 25 cities across the United States on a weekly basis. Since they are all U.S. cities, please don't consider this a promotion or sales call of any kind. I have nothing to gain from posting this aside from hearing your opinion of the website. What I do is separate.

I certainly don't expect for any of you to travel to nearest host city, I am merely wondering if you could take a few minutes and have a look, then let me know what you think of it? You don't have to answer all the questions, I just thought I'd lay something out to make it easier.

**Gabriel was good enough to post long and helpful reply. Thanks for that Gabriel, I appreciate that.

Imagine you are looking to take a class or two to improve your photography or software skills.

Imagine that you came across this site.

What is your first impression?

Is the information easy to get to and once you find it, is it helpful?

Does it make you want to sign up?

If not, why not?

What do you think would make this site better, a few tweaks, a complete overhaul?

I'd be interested to hear any and all feed back. I did not design this site and to be honest don't really don't like how it's set up, so don't worry if your comments are less than flattering.

The site can be found at www.digitalphotoacademy.com­
www.facebook.com/DigitalPhotoAcademy­
twitter: @DPAtweets

Thank you in advance.

Ty Roblin
Trish
TrishR
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 442
Thanks Ty for moving your request for feedback to the Shameless Board! smile
...and in response to Ty's original request on the main Message Board, Gabriel kindly posted his thoughts:

Hey Ty,
This is a quick run-down of what I'd change.

What is your first impression?
Apart from the photo gallery, I'm not overly impressed. The colour scheme is very business and boring (while the design is inconsistent with bevelling on just one button that fits into the grid).

Is the information easy to get to and once you find it, is it helpful?
The information is all over the place and while it's technically accessible because it's all there, it's overwhelming and makes it less useful.

Does it make you want to sign up?
They're not really giving me any reason to sign up, they're showing me pictures but not promising me those results, just hinting at something a photographer might do. They also present too much information that assumes that people are ready to sign up for the class and really just need that to be easy, where I think they need to consider their overall marketing strategy to engage people and convince them of the value of their service. Typically someone who finds the site would already know their city was covered, so that space could be better used.

What do you think would make this site better, a few tweaks, a complete overhaul?
I think a lot of the content is still relevant, but could be presented better.

Typically businesses will say: "I want a website, what should go on it?" When it's better to start with "Who is visiting our website, and what to they want?"

In this case, most of the people who will visit the website for the first time to decide whether this service is worth their money and time, and right now there is very little evidence of that. People probably won't make that decision right away so you need to build a relationship with them.

Build a relationship
I would suggest pulling the Instructor's Tips, Lens Baby Reviews, and informational copy into a column that updates on a regular basis (weekly, bi-weekly, if there is a release schedule people will have a reason to return).

What can they expect?
Get testimonials from students who've taken the course, short blurbs work well. If they tweet about it, and you can re-tweet all the better.
If the photos galleries are meant to entice people to join, describe how it relates to a course, if there are specific techniques being used link to that course or instructor.

Draw people in
What excites photographers, hobbyists, and whomever they are targeting for these classes? What kind of "look and feel" would make them feel at home and compelled to stick around and explore?

Don't make it about price
Photography is about art and expression. Appeal to the kinds of expression available after taking a course, or the desire to be creative. The price should still be available, but I wouldn't put it on the first page, or make it the driving value proposition.

Cheers,
Gabriel