In July join us at Runway East for 2 great talks, where we take a look at Webhooks & Security
SR2 – Socially Responsible Recruitment (https://www.sr2rec.co.uk/) in Bristol are kindly helping us host this evening, allowing us to have a larger space so more people can attend. Thanks to them!
This month's talks are:
- Working With Webhooks
Lorna Jane Mitchell, Developer Advocate at Nexmo (https://twitter.com/lornajane)
In an increasingly connected world, APIs are key to great tools and effective workflows. What is better than an API? A webhook of course! Webhooks are the modern way for integrating systems and allowing them to react to one another. This session will cover what a webhook is, when you might want to use one, and some examples for handling webhooks in your own PHP projects. You’ll see some examples of tools to help during the development process, and some real examples of webhooks in action.
- Is it Secret? Is it Safe?
Rob Wilson, Senior PHP Developer at Superdry (https://twitter.com/devtoolboxuk)
Everyone wants to sell things online. eCommerce websites are popping up left right and center. But where do you start?
Our boss/clients have an idea of what they want, but we as software developers are a key stakeholder when it comes to building eCommerce systems. After all, we’re both building the application and using it. There are multiple paths we can go down, but a common challenge that we all face is security; Protecting the customers data!
During the talk, we’ll look at some real world examples and security titbits in how we can protect the application, with Rob drawing on over 9 years of eCommerce experience.
After the talks we'll head somewhere for drinks.
Your first time coming to PHPSW? Welcome!
Here's how the evening tends to run:
* Feel free to turn up from 6:30pm.
* We'll have pizza and a selection of soft drinks & alcoholic drinks available from about 6:45pm, all free of charge thanks to our sponsors. It's a great chance to speak to people (we're a friendly bunch!) and do a bit of networking. Just speak to an organiser if you'd like an introduction to people, or just dive in and say "hello!".
* At 7pm, we'll do a quick welcome talk and some community announcements
* At ~7:10pm we'll have our first talk
* After our first talk, there's a small break whilst we switch over speakers
* At ~8:10pm We have our second talk
* We finish at ~9pm. We always go for a drink somewhere afterwards to discuss the talks and anything else that takes your fancy.
As always, a big thanks to our meetup sponsors Ents24 (http://www.ents24.com/), Brightpearl (http://www.brightpearl.com/), Space 48 (https://www.space48.com/) & OneSub (https://onesub.io/) without whom we wouldn't be able to put on our meetups.