What we're about
Upcoming events (4)
This summer, DCASE is pleased to present the Millennium Park Summer Film Series on Tuesdays. In celebration of the citywide “2022 Year of Chicago Dance” this summer’s lineup showcases select films inspired by dance.
Join Pine Point for Encanto: https://www.imdb.com/video/vi3064775449/
We are going to meet at 6:00pm and the film starts at 6:30pm. Be sure to grab a snack and blanket, and look for Pine Point banner in the North East corner of the park (lawn). Please note that there is no cellular reception in the park.
Public transportation is encouraged, otherwise you best choice is Spot Hero or Millennium Park garage: https://www.millenniumgarages.com/all-garages/millennium-park-garage/
By RSVPing yes you agree to follow all park rules:
Happy Summer everyone!
AN AWESOME SUMMER GETAWAY CAMPING AND BIKING WEEKEND FOR THE 35TH TIME!!!
We will be at Benson’s Camping Resort on Long Lake near Dundee, Wisconsin, about 3 hours north of Chicago. We had a great time last year and can do a fun, socially distanced event again this year.
• Tent set-up
• Campfire & fun discussions
• A grill will be set-up and ready to use. Pine Point is not providing any food out of an abundance of Covid caution. We will provide the grill, charcoal and tools.
Limestone Biking Trail : 16 mile
Road biking routes include 38, 56, & 76 mile options. We have maps and turn sheets available for this self-guided ride (though there are usually plenty of people who have ridden these routes before to help show the way). Riders typically stop for lunch in the patio at Fudgienuckles in Glenbeulah. The short and intermediate route riders typically overlap for lunch. The mountain bikers will coordinate lunch times with them. At the end of the ride, many of us also enjoy a well-earned ice cream cone at the Hamburger Haus in Dundee. Saturday dinner will be on your own.
- Most years people head to the Idlewile Inn, in Saint Cloud WI.
- The Pine Point grill will also be available.
- Tiki Beach Resort is a fun place to hit a lake and watch a sunset over water and listen to a rock band. Please note that this place has been really crowded other years.
MTB at the Greenbush trails. A trail fee is necessary in Wisconsin state parks and a State Park parking pass is also required.
Hiking: there are a lot of trails in state parks around the area. Greenbush has the most variety of terrain and a few kettles to check out.
Beach & Long Lake: Long Lake Recreation Area has a couple beaches and Benson's has canoes and kayaks for rent.
Sunday can be a recovery day, more riding, hiking, canoeing, or ???
Included in the trip price:
- Camping space in an area reserved for our group
- Firewood & charcoal for the grill
- Maps & guidance for 38, 56 and 76 mile routes
- Awesome company of outdoor enthusiasts
- A bike, kayak, and/or hiking shoes
- Quarters for the shower
- Camping essentials: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/family-camping-checklist.html
If you are looking for a ride or have extra spot, please coordinate by posing it in the comments.
RSVP & $$$
- Pine Point Annual Members: $50
- Guests, Visitors, Non-Members: $55 (non members, need to fill out summer membership form and e-mail to mcdzica AT gmail.com: https://www.pinepointskiclub.com/_files/ugd/111146_f912244af34e48488c7de2b3379ac21e.pdf
- Pay electronically via Venmo/Paypal/Zelle to mcdzica AT gmail
Turn sheets will be provided Saturday morning, but if you want to check out the routes in advance:
16 Mile Route to Mauthe Lake. Limestone bike trail. The trail passes through hardwood forests, open prairies, tall pines and lowland swamps. The hills are easy to moderate. There is no fee to ride this trail.
38 Mile Route
56 Mile Route
79 Mile Route
Here is a link to hiking and mountain biking in the area:
Let us know below if you have any questions and Happy Camping!
We are going back to Door County for more hiking, biking, and kayaking RAIN OR SHINE! Camping in Sturgeon Bay's favorite Park: Potawatomi State Park.
Door County starts just north of Algoma, but the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal creates the Door Peninsula. Sturgeon Bay is 45 miles from the city of Green Bay, 150 miles from Milwaukee, 240 miles from Chicago and 320 miles from Minneapolis. The first town on the Green Bay side, Egg Harbor, is 17 miles from Sturgeon Bay. The park is conveniently located about 50 miles from Washington Island; if you have never been to the lavender farm; this is your chance.
We are camping at the group site. The site has a parking space allocated for 12 vehicles right at the site, plus additional parking spots at the overflow area. Parking spots will be assigned in the order of the trip sign-ups, on the “first come first served basis”. Our campsite has a communal fire pit (with grid) and accessible vault toilets and drinking water are in the close proximity. Showers are at the family campground area. Carpooling recommended.
We will have activities planned for each day, closer to the trip. See the tentative agenda below:
- FRIDAY: arrivals, set up tents, meet & greet at fire pit
- SATURDAY: hike/bike/beach/kayaking, finish off your day around the campfire & fun discussions
- SUNDAY: hike/bike/beach/kayaking, finish off your day around the campfire & fun discussions
- MONDAY: hike/bike/beach/kayaking, returning home
Door County peninsula offers various activities for all tastes, here are just a couple of recommendations:
- Right from our camp site, you will be able to hike on several hiking trails - Ancient Shores trail (0.5miles); Ice Age National scenic trail (2.8 miles); Hemlock trail (2.6 miles); Tower Trail (2.6 miles) https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/potawatomi/recreation/hiking
- Whitefish Dunes State Park is 28 minutes car ride, and has an amazing sandy beach and several trails worth to hike https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/whitefish/recreation/hiking
- Peninsula State Park is 41 minutes car ride, and also has amazing trails with breathtaking views: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/peninsula/recreation/hiking
- Potawatomi offers about eight miles of off-road bike trails wind through the park. Parking for the trails is available in Parking Lot 1 near the picnic areas along the shoreline. Visitors can also bike on any of the park's roads.
- Peninsula State Park - a great place for biking while admiring the surroundings: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/peninsula/recreation/biking
If you like kayaking, or any other water sports, this is the place to try. In Door County you’ll find out how crystal clear Lake Michigan is, rather you’ll explore the beautiful caves from water perspective, or you’ll enjoy the beautiful sunset from water you won’t regret it. Rent or book a guided tour:
- Whitefish Dunes : https://www.dcadventurecenter.com;
- Peninsula State Park : https://peninsulakayakcompany.com
Door County Wine Trail:
If you are a wine lover, you should not miss a tour of the charming peninsula wineries: https://www.doorcountywinetrail.com/who-we-are
Take the ferry https://wisferry.com and visit Washington Island. Hike, bike, visit the lavender farm, or just enjoy your day at one of the remote beaches: https://www.doorcounty.com/discover/washington-island/
Rock Island State Park:
Take the second ferry https://wisferry.com/rock-island/ and visit this charming small island. No cars or bikes allowed. Superb hiking, beaches and scenery. Visit the oldest lighthouse in northern Lake Michigan.
$$$ includes 3-night campsite reservation & firewood & activity planning. Payment guarantees the spot.
- Pine Point Annual Members: $45
- Guests, Visitors, Non-Members: $50 (non members, need to fill out summer membership form and e-mail to szabados200 AT gmail.com: https://www.pinepointskiclub.com/_files/ugd/111146_f912244af34e48488c7de2b3379ac21e.pdf)
- Pay electronically via Venmo/Paypal/Zelle to mcdzica AT gmail, message Gabi for additional payments options
Post comments/questions below and happy Camping!
The Apple Cider Century is an annual one-day 15, 25, 50, 75 or 100 mile bicycle tour of the orchards, forests and wine country in and around Three Oaks, Michigan on the last Sunday in September.
It is a recreational and social tour for bicyclists. It is neither a race nor a test of stamina. It is intended that all participants ride the tour in a safe and intelligent manner. And 2022 is the year Pine Point is joining for the ride!
Registration is already opened, be sure to take an advantage of an early bird discount:
We will be posting lodging recommendations soon. Come out for a weekend or one day only. You don't need to be a biker in order to tag along for a weekend; there are orchard tours and wine tastings happening that weekend all over the town!
Hope you can join!