addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

San Diego Pug Club Message Board › My pug got stung by a BEE :(

My pug got stung by a BEE :(

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi , I am new to this meetup group. My pug got stung by a Bee. Louie almost died. He was throwing up several times, then his tongue turned white and then he went lethargic. I was so scared. Louie wasn't being responsive. We got to the animal ER just in time. Louie stayed over night. He had several shots and IV fluids.I found out that pugs have lots of allergies. Now when I go outside with him, I haVE TO WATCH HIM REAL CLOSE TO MAKE SURE NOTHING BITES HIM. i JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ANY ONE HAS BEEN THROUGH THIS WITH THERE PUG?
A former member
Post #: 16
OMG Shaun, you scared me to death! My Desmo has been stung on the lips. His fault, trying to eat it. We didn't have the reaction Louie had. I will be sure and watch out for any future stings. I'm glad Louie is O.K. Thanks for the heads up!
Nelly and Desmo
DD N.
user 9271436
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
gives new meaning to "Bee stung lips! I am glad everything is ok

Mr. Squeaky
Jennifer
user 9226826
San Diego, CA
Post #: 16
I'm glad you were able to get Louie to the ER in time! Poor little guy. That's the drawback with those flat little faces -- they're right there at the ground when they're sniffing.

BOTH my dogs were bitten by something -- to this day not sure if it was a bee, a spider, or something else (this was back in Virginia, and we have an abundance of insects there). Morgan's face started to swell, then he broke out in hives. We went to the ER, too, but luckily it was nowhere near as serious as Louie's reaction. They told me to give him children's Benedryl. I stayed up all night with him b/c he was so itchy from the hives.

And then the same year something got Molly, and her whole face swelled up. It was horrible looking -- like somebody filled her head up with air, no puggie wrinkles, just a BIG swollen face. But otherwise she was fine, and she got the children's Benedryl, too.

Thanks for sharing his symptoms! Hopefully it'll help someone else if it happens to them.
Glad Louie's okay! smile
Delilah
beanp
San Diego, CA
Post #: 6
Unfortunately, my first pug was deathly allergic to bee stings. She was anaphylactic. Had the exact same experience, but she did not fair too well. After the first sting, the vet said that she'd likely not survive another and I had to carry an epi-pen with me just in case. Unfortunately she did get stung again ( a couple of years ago) and we were not able to save her. She just couldn't handle the shock again. I am not trying to scare you, just keep her away from places that will increase your odds for a sting as much as you can. Pugs tend to just be allergic to everything it seems. Our newest pug is allergic to the rabies vaccine. Go figure. Benedryl does do a good, quick job if they are having a general allergic reaction. I keep it handy at all times. Sorry, I know this sounded scary but felt I needed to share.