addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Random Acts of Kindness Volunteer / Non-Profit Meetup Message Board › New Meetup: February Ashford Hall 2011

New Meetup: February Ashford Hall 2011

Dave
user 4600753
Irving, TX
Announcing a new Meetup for Random Acts of Kindness Volunteer / Non-Profit Meetup!

What: February Ashford Hall 2011

When: Sunday, February 6, 2011 1:00 PM

Where: Ashford Hall Nursing Home
2021 Shoaf Dr
Irving, TX 75061

Dear RAK members:

We had a great group of volunteers come out to help today! I'd guess we had 45 or so, including some first timers and some fine young people to help us out.

The video montage is on youtube, here:
http://www.youtube.co...­

The stills are on meetup of course. I handed my camera to Valorie and she took most of them; she did a great job!

I haven't had time to do much inventory but I talked to Jo. For February, it sounds like we're low on sugar free sodas, candies, and cookies/cakes. As always, fresh fruit is a good idea but do check the RSVPs so we don't end up with too much. We also have Valentines Day and Presidents Day for themes.

As always your presence is very valuable. Seniors really enjoy visiting with us and when it comes to organizing the prizes and helping out with bingo, or lugging stuff out to Dave's car, singing with the Darlings, the more the merrier. We also realize that our volunteers come from all walks of life; among us are students, job-seekers, and so on. Not everyone can afford to buy prizes but all volunteers are welcome and valued.

[Standard background for those who may be joining us for the first time....]

Ashford Hall, a skilled nursing facility is designed to provide residents with the care and assistance needed to enjoy life. Volunteering at AH is unlike any other volunteer experience you have ever had. As a group, we enrich the lives of frail or isolated seniors and/or adults, through support and friendship, during friendly visits. We also provide music and Bingo game to the residents. This is a very kid friendly event. The residents love kids and dogs.
NOTE ABOUT WHAT WE DO: We meet in the lobby. Then volunteers visit with residents in their rooms for a while, followed by a bingo game for them in the game room. Some volunteers also sing to the residents with Dave's Darlings. Volunteers fill prize bags and prepare snacks. We also sit at tables with the residents during bingo, help them mark their bingo cards and pick up their prizes for them when they win, plus get them snacks and drinks.
NOTE ABOUT ARRIVING LATE:
You can catch up to us. The typical schedule:
1) 1:00-1:15 Meet in foyer
2) 1:15: Visit rooms or set up for bingo in atrium
3) 1:45: Music in atrium if others sing
4) 2:05: Bingo begins; if we have singers they go to Alzheimers ward
5) 3:00: Finish bingo, group photo, pack up
6) 3:20-4:30? Optional late lunch at Danals or sometimes Taco Cabana if we have dogs along.
NOTE TO THOSE WANTING TO BRING A DOG OR CAT: Ashford Hall has to have copies of up to date shot records for them. Butch (big guy with baseball cap in wheelchair) or Nita can accept shot records. Of course, the dog should have the right temperament for visiting with residents.
NOTE TO THOSE TAKING PHOTOS: Photography is welcome at Ashford Hall, and pictures of other volunteers, the facility, the prizes, and so on are totally acceptable. However, we need to remember to respect the privacy of the residents whom we are helping to serve. Please refrain from taking pictures of the clients, volunteers with residents, and so on. If you accidentally include someone, you can crop that person out or use programs such as photoshop or paint.net (free) to blur the face before posting to meetup, Facebook, or other sites. A how-to for blurring faces can be found in the Files section.
OPTIONAL:
As I mentioned above we usually go for lunch afterward, which is to say I don't remember ever not going. In September & October we went to Taco Cabana and had some good food on the patio; from November-January, the dogs' schedules didn't permit lunch afterward so we went to Danals. The venue is TBA but neither are very far away, and both have pretty good food at reasonable prices.

RSVP to this Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com...­