addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Raw Food Meetup Group - Charlotte, NC Message Board › CSAs, Co-ops, Farmers Markets

CSAs, Co-ops, Farmers Markets

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello all! I'm new in town and I bring an appetite for fresh, organic produce.

What have your experiences been with any farms, co-ops, CSAs and Farmers Markets you've participated in? I live in the University area (northeast side of town) in case anyone knows of some places close to here.

I may potentially be interested in finding a farmer who is pasture-raising chickens as a source of eggs. Also, will I now have to drive to South Carolina to obtain raw milk?

Thanks all!
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Neil! I live in what's known as the Historic West End District, which is considered a food desert. This area is slowly being revitalized and we hope to have a grocery store service the community in the near future.

As a result, some of my neighbors have created the Historic West End Market, which opens Saturdays (beginning June 11th) from 9a-2p. It will be located at 108 Wesley Heights Way, at the corner of W. Trade Street. We have local farmers coming to sell their local produce, including fresh eggs. Unfortunately, no milk or chicken. There will also be a chef serving freshly prepared hot breakfast, lunch, breads, and desserts. One of the farms participating is known as The Male's Place. Their program is focused on teaching young men (ages 12-18) how to plant, harvest, and sell their produce.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with any markets near the University area, but I hope you'll come down to check ours out. The website is www.historicwestendmarket.com. Their will also be other vendors on site.

Thanks,

Marjorie