addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Campaign for Liberty: Pittsburgh Message Board › Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself!

NickR
user 4193153
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 45
In the 100th member email I asked everyone to come here and introduce themselves. Please do so on this thread.

Please tell us a little bit about yourself, how you got involved with the freedom movement, and why you plan to stay active after April 22nd.
A former member
Post #: 35
Nobody wants to be first, so I'll break the silence.

I've grown increasingly sick of the stranglehold that the major parties have on the government and the resultant feeling that my interests aren't represented regardless of who I vote for. I'm an "extreme moderate", a purple-stater, with enough opinions on both ends of the political spectrum to irritate monochromatic members of either side. Since PA has closed primaries, I change parties as needed in the hope of affecting the outcome of elections that matter to me. Ron Paul isn't strictly speaking an independent candidate, but he's the closest I've seen any major-party member come to representing the best interests of common Americans without catering to special interests, toeing the party line, or flip-flopping in response to polls. He's a consistent supporter of citizen's rights and limited, responsible government. That's why he has supporters from all over the spectrum, and it's why he has my support. For the first time since registering to vote, I'm actually excited to support a candidate who has the potential to bring respectability and accountability back to the Washington.

Learning about Ron Paul and taught me a lot about the merits of constitutional libertarianism. I'm still fed up with the two-party system, but at least I have a clearer set of guiding principles to take into the voting booth. I'll be voting for a lot more "small l" libertarians in the future.

A longer version of this introduction can be found here.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hey - I live in Cleveland and joined your meetup for Dr. Paul's IUP rally. Just got home from the trip and have to say the folks I met in PA were very friendly, knowledgable and the enthusiasm for Dr. Paul was a thrill. Not sure if any of the guys I spoke to were part of the meetup, but I imagine we were in the same crowd.

I got interested in Dr. Paul at a Browns game and seeing a huge showing of Paul supporters outside the stadium. It was FREEZING cold that day...and nobody was outside unless they were there for the game. So on the way home I googled Ron Paul to see why his supporters would stand in near-blizzard conditions to spread his message.

As an accountant, I was first interested in his small government principles and easing of government regulations / oversight. The increasing amount of labor being spent on auditing and consultants for the ridiculously increasing regulations hitting every aspect of business only trickles down to higher costs for the consumer. I'd rather we get naturally selected for elimination in the free market than by B.S. paperwork labor taking away what little competitive advantage the best available talent is able to muster.

The more I listened, the more the bigger picture came into focus. Foreign policy, monetary policy, domestic programs, pointless bureacracy, how all are inter-related...RP has enlightened me where others were pitching their usual wares (bribe the people's votes with their own money...no thanks).

Admittedly I used to be apathetic and ignorant of most the issues, for a good 30 years...I'm now one of those people that RP has "woken up".

Thanks for the meetup! I live too far to participate in any future ones, but am happy to have attended the one today.
A former member
Post #: 1
I live in Penn Hills and work in RIDC North at the corporate headquarter of a manufacturing company. I am a Network/Security Engineer by trade.

I find pleasure in visualizing complex systems and their behaviors in my profession. Simulating systems mentally allows for the prediction of behaviors in the actual. I apply analysis and mental simulation techniques in issues of economics. I am a Ron Paul supporter because I consider him, to put it lightly, a genius in the area of economics. I am frequently amazed by Paul's ability to explain, teach, and predict. I admire Paul's lifetime display of tenacity in adherence to principle and his apparent belief in the latent potential of his fellow Americans.

The impact of monetary policy, on individuals and on a macroeconomic scale, are apparent and frightening to me in their pervasiveness. I believe a moment of realization regarding monetary policy causes an existential crisis in the realizer, much like facing mortality may. This crisis amplifies when the implications of the realization are followed to their logical conclusions. The market in currency's tendrils reach into everything. I find few that show the signs of alarm that would be natural given a holistic understanding of the effect of monetary policy.

I joined this Meetup group to identify individuals in my locality who understand these issues and their magnitude.
Mary
user 8852757
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 3
Does anyone in this Pittsburgh group listen to WYEP? It is normally a pretty good source for music.

Lately, however, they are constantly running this partisan crap spot featuring Ani DeFranco drooling on about Obama. I just wonder if I am the only listener offended by this, especially since it is a community- sponsored "public" station. I wonder if there is an organized way to confront/ challenge them on this.