addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

RailsMN -- Rails for Beginners Message Board › My first working Rails site - Bargain Stock Funds

My first working Rails site - Bargain Stock Funds

Jason H.
Jason_Hsu
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 27
Thanks to the advice and encouragement from this group, Ruby.mn, and the online Ruby on Rails community, I have successfully deployed my first serious Rails app - Bargain Stock Funds (http://www.bargainsto...­. Bargain Stock Funds contains profiles of over 10,000 stock ETFs and mutual funds from the value investing point of view. Parameters displayed include price/cash flow ratio, price/book ratio, and expense ratios. there is a master file showing all data for all funds in CSV format, there is a list of the cheapest stock ETFs, and there is a list showing the valuations of each Vanguard fund. Features in the works include the ability to search for funds by various parameters and listings of the cheapest mutual funds in each style box category (large/medium/small, value/blend/growth).

The source code for my Rails site is at https://github.com/jh...­ . The source code for the web-scraping script that acquires the fund data is at https://github.com/jh...­ . (The Ruby script I used initially was too slow, so I switched to Python. However, I'm not sure how much of the improvement was due to switching to Python and how much was due to the greatly improved web-scraping and database-writing procedures in the Python script over the old Ruby script.)

I use PostgreSQL for the database, because it is far more robust and can handle far more traffic than the default SQLite3 database. (SQLite3 is far more beginner-friendly, so don't try to learn Postgres until you successfully deploy a site in SQLite3 first.)

I use WebFaction as my web host, because it offers great support for Python, Ruby on Rails, and other technologies AND great value. Rates start at only $8.50/month for 100 GB of disk space, 600 GB of bandwidth, and 256 MB of memory. Even better: As long as you stay within the memory/bandwidth/disk space constraints, you can host as many sites as you want without having to pay more. (Please note that WebFaction does not offer domain names. Then again, it's better to get your domain name and your web site from different companies.)

While Heroku's free accounts are essential for the beginner stage, serious apps require something with far more capacity, and Heroku's paid accounts were much too expensive for me. (Heroku has the easiest deployment procedures, so don't try to deploy any Rails apps elsewhere until you have successfully deployed something with your free Heroku account.)