addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Co-Ed Safer Soccer Message Board › Weekly nag I sent out ...

Weekly nag I sent out ...

Jason Arthur T.
jasontaylor7
Group Organizer
Kensington, MD
Post #: 98
This is your weekly reminder that there will be a safer soccer game Sunday at 2pm in the middle/southernish end of the park at

http://maps.google.co...­

Last week Blue won. Play of the day was a goal by Red. Red had the ball and was approaching blue’s goal, defended by Jim. Ruben (on red) had the ball, but Jim (on blue) had him totally blocked. So ruben “passed” to Richard, on the other side of Jim, and Richard tapped it into the goal. Red was winning by two points, so Blue’s captain, Jim, requested a next point wins ending. Smart move. Red’s substitute captain Flo attempted to block this but was only able to call one of the two coin flips correctly. Guillaume, on blue, whose blood was still boiling for being associated with a figure of controversy (I thought I was the only one who would know about the darker side of John T., but apparently Richard and a few others knew as well) gave it his all and kept trying after a few missed shots, eventually managing to score with a few minutes to spare. IMO red biffed it, as they failed to play extra defensive (“keep away”) in the next point wins ending/strategy. Due to the lower than average turnout, all players on blue were awarded or offered $5. Some players came over after the game for pizza. Thanks to all for not disclosing the Redskin game score.

Last week, a player alerted me to the fact that a non-player was taking extensive pictures and videos of our group. (A while ago, there was an eerie incident which caused me to ban people from taking pictures and videos of our game.) But the photographer was a non-player that Jim brought to the game. Jim is too new to know about the ban. On Friday, Jim wrote that, due to his bad knees, he would never play soccer with us again. But Jim joined three other soccer groups that same day, that same hour. Jim also accidentally posted messages, since deleted, announcing he would be playing, but they seemed to have been perhaps meant for the other groups he had just joined, since he had already both rsvped and de-rsvped to ours. In a phone call to us today supposedly about something else, Jim explained that, since we only play once per week, and he wanted more soccer action, on Friday he indeed joined 3 other safer-ish soccer groups just so he could play more games of soccer per week in addition to ours, even though only our group is the only one he can kick the ball without pain, and even though he suffered through two days of knee pain after the last game. He also said he de-joined all the other soccer groups except ours.

Knees and soccer have always had a somewhat stressful relationship, and yesterday I tweeted about last week’s discovery of a new ligament in the knee. But Jim’s knee story takes the cake.

See you Sunday at 2pm. The Redskins played on Thursday, losing to what some call a “quarterback-less” team. So no post-game activities are planned.

Jason http://twitter.com/ja...­ 301-277-6032.
Jason Arthur T.
jasontaylor7
Group Organizer
Kensington, MD
Post #: 99
I thought last week’s game was weak. Leo’s injuries didn’t help, but the main problem was an interruption from a dispute about our rules. The time to dispute rules is off-field, not during a game. Nevertheless, after thinking about it, we’ve decided to change our rules to conform with those set forth by the four-lettered organization for the sport. We’re not a martyrs, and so it’s a compromise. Please post in the discussion area if you object to this change.

The details. A player performed a dangerous heading attempt in which his head almost collided with another’s head on his same team. The foulee was to the fouler’s front right, so the foulee didn’t know what almost happened until shoulder’s collided. According to the official rules of soccer, there was no foul for three reasons:

1. In regular soccer is completely impossible to commit a foul against your own team. (The true role of their refs is prevent fouls from being used as a tool to win a game.) That wasn’t so in safer soccer. (Yes there is pressure to win, but perhaps it is too much pressure if our players are getting upset when we give fouls to players who injure other players on their same team.)

2. In normal soccer it isn’t a foul to bash heads. Indeed, it’s the fastest way to grow tau, which can lead you to Elizabeth Lambert stardom.

3. Their heads didn’t even collide anyway, just almost collided.

But because we had a “same-team-still-a-foul rule” and a “no-dangerous-heads (no charging while heading situational awareness) rule”, the foulee was rightfully shown a red card by the ref. That’s what we did in the past, and that’s what, until today, we advertised we would do to each person who attempts to join through the permitted methods.

What happened wasn’t disputed. The call/rules were questioned/disputed by the players who claimed to not know about our anti-aggressive head and same-team rules, even though that was the third interruption in the past few months about the same exact thing, and fourth if you include our “injury-based fouls” which were called anytime someone does something that has an end effect of something hitting someone’s head.

I could paste in the paragraphs sent out to and/or supposedly read by perspective members. Perhaps I’ll p.s. a marked up version of the rules. But it’s not merely a minor education issue about our rules. It’s about their rationale, and our clash with the world, which, for better or worse, compels if not virtually forbids soccer players from caring about their brain health. Consider, it’s cheaper to also fund studies disproving the tau-soccer link. Without player-awareness of the studies, there’s little reason for our past rules. Yes, the lack of pain thing is an independent reason to use the foam ball, but it doesn’t explain our prior special rules about heading situational awareness. The past rules just seem ridiculous to the average soccer player, and I don’t have the resources to educate them, especially given Meetup Inc.’s clever filtering abilities. The rules only made sense to those who knew about tau (~2% of our players) AND who cared about brain health (20%), which almost no soccer players do or they wouldn’t have been soccer players in the first place. I’m not in a position to fight the world, so I’m just going to cave in. It’s the best decision for the group, and, on the bright side, might help allow our game to be a way of meeting new people.

Yes, you argue, I’m weak. You say I should print out a half-dozen tau papers, make players read them before playing, print business cards for all players to promote, bypass meetup et al. with a http://safersoccer.co...­ website, use google adwords, etc.

No. If you look at the eight factor budget ratio, trust me, it’s a clearcut “tilting at windmills” situation. So I am pretty sure this is the right move. I’m thankful to be allowed to play using foam balls at all. Nor do I do not anticipate a change of heart, for if they change their minds, hypothetically causing a sudden herd of smart soccer players to approach me (with tau-soccer clippings in hand), well, by that time there would be other true (not fake clone) groups, and I’d prefer just joining one of them than being the leader, since, despite being a true father, it takes time and gives no benefit to me, and fame is not my thing.

So, until further notice, unless there is strong objection, we won’t call aggressive heads or same-team fouls in safer soccer. I’ll just stay clear of most headers and ban players with more dangerous headers that might hurt anyone trying to avoid getting hit and who is aware of the risks of heading. The foam ball will give 90% of the benefits to the careful player. And, as a rule of thumb, if you don’t head, you won’t get hit by a header, so chesting gives the same effect of us being the anal-retentive soccer nazis out to protect your noggin from becoming Lambert’s, which is actually clever adaptation once you think about it. Until summer comes I can wear my infamous black 3D0 helmet.

Since the $$ was largely a way of putting a penalty of noncompliance with the now-dropped rules, I’m making the game free again to all players, but due to Meetup’s excuses that a lack of 3 rsvp’s is the reason we aren’t being listed in their weekly Monday emails, please take the time to rsvp, ideally, at least by the prior Sunday (i.e., a week in advance).

See you tomorrow at 2pm.
(continued)
Jason Arthur T.
jasontaylor7
Group Organizer
Kensington, MD
Post #: 100
November 12 2013 Rule changes [1/2](red=deleted, green=added, black=kept)

Hi, we play "safer soccer" on the weekends in Silver Spring, Maryland, north of the beltway by 5 minutes. You're welcome to join us. We started using an awesome red foam ball because of several under-appreciated studies that imply a link between heading and tau overgrowth. But most people play because our games are just more fun and invigorating than normal soccer games; people don't get hurt as much, so you don't have to worry about accidentally kicking someone in the face with the ball. For a pickup game we are very organized. (We use jerseys, refs, goals, cones, corner kicks, throw ins, yellow cards, red cards, etc.)We use a special *foam* ball. Although some studies do link soccer to an abnormal growth in the brain called tau, the reason most people prefer the foam ball is because they laugh when getting beamed instead of reeling in pain, which, in normal soccer games, actually causes a somber mood for a few minutes.

To get a feel for the group, you're welcome to read the extremely terse, dry, and boring weekly reminders about future games and recap about past games here­.

Cost: our rule is that 100% of all incoming funds must go back to the players, equipment, or group somehow. It is free for females who rsvp or male players who rsvp but can demonstrate economic hardship. $20 for males who rsvp. $30 for males and females who do not rsvp. For most men, this is $1.50/game, but you are not allowed to pay for only one game. (It just disrupts the game, with unwanted people showing up late on purpose knowing it wasn't worth it for us to disrupt the game for such trivialities.) One use of $$ has been to make the game more intense and to help stabilize turnout: for some games (usually games played with below-average turnouts, like in cloudy weather) each player on the winning team may be offered some $$. (Yes, you could get paid to play soccer in our group.) Sometimes it might be the highest scorer, or most improved. If that offends you, or if you don’t need it, and you are awarded a payout, by all means politely decline. To some players it is nice to be acknowledged for their soccer skills, gives them another thing to be proud of during the week, and is a meal ticket. It seems I’m getting a better workout since we started this, and it seems to give the game a little more meaning than the pickups where goals are just meaningless free kicks to the other team. It’s the best we can do given that we can't ever have a league.

Jason Arthur T.
jasontaylor7
Group Organizer
Kensington, MD
Post #: 101
Rule changes [2/2]
Special safety-related rules of our group:
  • If you know anything about pro sports, including soccer, you know most of them have become very violent. This is a safer soccer game. To ensure it remains “safer,” we also have some strange rules. People who don’t follow them usually get banned. Read them now so you call us discuss them outside of the games (instead of discussing/debating with the ref during a game).<br /> <br /> In other soccer games, anyone who calls a foul is a “sissy”. Not in safer soccer. Please call any real fouls you notice. It makes it easier on the ref. (The main ref is good but does not really enjoy reffing; she just does it to enhance safety and fun for everyone else.) Hand balls are ignored unless they are intentional. Also, a red card and/or point may be awarded to the other team if you contribute to any hit to someone’s head or a man’s testis. In either case, a point is awarded to the other team, even if it is a team-on-team foul. But only if it is (1) fast (2) close range, and (3) an actual hit. The reason we don’t care as much about all other body parts is that they heal or can be replaced.<br /> <br /> A few notes about heading. With a regulation soccer ball, it's actually bad for your brain! People who care about this prefer the foam ball, which fixes that problem, allowing a fully 3D game again. Even so, please no “aggressive” heading. Vertical jumps where your head's movement is from your neck muscles (instead of your legs and stomach) are safest. <strong>Safer soccer is contrary to normal soccer</strong> because we have to shift some mental attention away from the ball and onto the other players. If you head, be sure to have situational awareness of where your harder body parts (head, elbows, and knees) are relative to people’s heads and you won’t get called. In this video, note how each player was focused on the ball only, and did NOT have good situational awareness about other players. Also note that most of the collisions in the "soccer collisions” video were actually related to heading attempts. In our group, heading competitions between two players for the ball usually mean a foul is being committed by the player furthest from the ball's path. If someone has to move to avoid your head when you are heading it should be a red card to you and a point to the other team if the ref catches it. Again, be sure you know where the other players are before moving your head at high speed. If it is crowded (like most corner kicks), <strong>it is usually best to chest it</strong>. Head-to-head and to elbow-to head hits are extremely bad for the brain even if there isn’t a concussion. In the past, players caught doing an aggressive heads were banned on the spot even though they were paid up. (Now you know the another reason we charge $$.) Not only is safer soccer just a game, it is a game we are playing a thousand times or so! A decade from now you won't care if you got a few extra points in soccer, but you might care if your poor memory and lower IQ cost you some raises or even your job, in the more extreme cases. On TV soccer, there’s billions at stake. In our group, it’s just us, wanting to have some fun.Another rule to know about involves you and your team’s captain making a decision near the end.organizer need to know each player’s contact information. If you know anything about pro sports, including soccer, you know most of them have become very violent. Eliminating full anonymity automatically reduces the chance of sketchy behavior, ranging from dangerous plays even to theft of wallets lying on the sidelines. It also lets us talk with any unsafe or unwanted players off-field and before they take the time to drive out to a game they are no longer even allowed to play in.

• The organizers seek all helpful criticisms, but their time is very limited. Inability to follow instructions, rsvping issues, or failures to chip in and be helpful whenever possible may result in you being banned.

• Treat the ref with respect. You may politely question the calls you are pretty sure about. Indeed, please help her by calling any fouls, outs, etc., since we only have one instead of a half dozen. However, to avoid needless interruptions, post/pre-game or off-field is the only time you should propose rule changes.

• Some handballs may be ignored by the ref, especially if the intent was to protect your face or body from the ball.

• Next point wins: 10 minutes to the end of a game you and your team’s captain might need to make a decision near the end. (Yes, both the blue and red teams need to pick a captain.) You see, we have our own special endgame called “next point wins” for when the losing team is losing by more than 2 points. It also helps make it competitive the entire game. But “next point wins” isn’t guaranteed. (If it were, the winning team would avoid pulling ahead by more than 2 points.) So at 10 minutes before game's end, the losing team can have the right to request a next point wins endgame by asking me (Jason) or the ref. The winning team then has a counteracting opportunity to accept this or to contest it by trying to pick two coin tosses in a row correctly. If they get both correct (25% chance), the game is played out normally. Otherwise (75% chance), the next point wins endgame is allowed. If anyone scores inside the 10 minutes that team wins, but if nobody scores inside of the 10 minutes the team with the higher score going into “next point wins” wins. Therefore, if you are on the winning team, there is a good chance you need to play a totally different soccer game, a “keep away” game, in which you are extremely defensive the last 10 minutes, unless their defense is weak, which it often is during in next point wins..

• Buddy policy: you’re welcome to advertise the game to tobring friends. You’ll get 1/3 of the initial funds they put in, but one of you has to tell me, and I need their contact information. If a friend is used to a regulation soccer ball, please let them know that they should arrive 5 minutes early to test the ball (, but rule 1 still requires that an organizer needs their contact info before paying), to pay before the game instead of during the game, and to meet the other players. Disclaimer: there’s a very low risk your friend could get upset in case they got banned and paid $$, as banned players don’t get refunds. If a friend you brought in brings in his or her friend, you don’t get anything; just the one member who you brought in gets the 1/3.they can be allowed to play.
Jason Arthur T.
jasontaylor7
Group Organizer
Kensington, MD
Post #: 105
Cute game last week. Soft ground. Red won 11-7 in a next point wins ending. Play of the day was Kevin’s long bomb kick from mid field. Salvador’s knees blew out mid game, but he ended up kicking the winning point – the ball bounced off Becky (on Blue) and into the goal in the final three minutes. It’s to be expected, as he had purchased new shoes, to make up for the prior week. (Partly because it was a reasonable handicap, until now he had been playing for years with us in dockers.) In other news, Barry dropped by to make a cameo appearance before being whisked away by his family.

Afterwards we watched the redskins eagles game. Pizza is getting better. Slowly. Jim brought a dessert sweetened with stevia instead of sugar which is still affecting my digestive system. Since his knees are bad, he had already seen some of the game. He even checked some scores during the game. Everything’s just little bit too connected these days. Perhaps we need to McMillanize

http://www.theatlanti...­
attendees with a smart phone collection box?

Forecast: Our first snow soccer game is upon us!
Jason
Jason Arthur T.
jasontaylor7
Group Organizer
Kensington, MD
Post #: 106
I hope you all had a nice turkey day. Fortunately, at long last, the time has come to work off the pound or two you just added to your waist.

Very windy game last week. Had to run just to warm up. Tips: Layers + cocoa butter or Vaseline on the nose. Can you use the turkey fat? Probably, but don’t forget the no-gravy safer soccer rule. Tied score, 10-10. Play of the day: kick to goal was successfully blocked by Gabe’s giggle button, used to incapacitate the other team while they swoop in for the kill/score.

See you all tomorrow at 2pm. Should have some players returning to the area. The forecast is actually superb due to zero wind tomorrow!!!! I’m very exited. (This means I will get a little sweating action.) Nothing is scheduled afterwards. See you then!

Jason Taylor 301-277-6032 http://twitter.com/ja...­ (A new post each day.)
Jason Arthur T.
jasontaylor7
Group Organizer
Kensington, MD
Post #: 107
Nice game last week. Play of the day was Ismael’s kick to goal which was deflected by Becky and then by be, but still went in!!
Snow soccer is tomorrow at 2pm. Snow soccer is great with the foam ball, and it is cool to fall down without getting hurt as the snow will cushion the blow, so come on out. So it’s almost impossible to get hurt no matter what happens. I can assure you it is more fun than skiing, and a better workout. Also, the amount of mud is less, and you don’t have to clean your cleats later. Lastly, snow will protect the grass, so we don’t have to use the blacktop. (We have a backup field lined up if there isn’t enough snow, so arrive on time in case we move there at the start.) The only thing to realize is that your pants and socks will be totally wet by the time you get back home -– be sure you change after getting back home into dry clothes.
We will watch the Redskins game afterwards. I need rsvps for that to make sure we have enough food. No discussions of scores or playing with cell phones.

Jason Arthur T.
jasontaylor7
Group Organizer
Kensington, MD
Post #: 108
Snow soccer was a blast last week despite a low turnout and a late start. The foam ball rocks in that weather, and the snow allowed Salvador to play all out. Normally the ground puts stress on his knees, but the snow cushioned the impact, and allowed him to play strong all the game. Blue won about 24-8 in a next point wins ending.

I’m really sorry for arriving late. On short notice, I ended up having to pick up Salvador, and I was about 10 minutes late. If anyone arrived on time and left thinking it was canceled we pretty much play every weekend. This was the latest we arrived, I think in the past 3 years, but Leo and I both almost had an accident and the roads were really bad.

Anyone who fears snow soccer is crazy. The summer is much worse. In the summer we have to mess with bugs, sunblock, sweat from other players on all our clothes, mud, dirt, heat stroke, etc. This time all I had to do was put my clean yet wet shoes inside and put my wet socks and gloves in the washer. Done. Quick and easy.

Play of the day was from Salvador. My legs were together, but the ball went between them into the goal. Everyone was wondering how that happened. I don’t know myself.

If you note the title, you can ignore the first 124 minutes, when it gets somewhat honest:

http://www.pbs.org/wg...­

Forecast: very windy. Put Vaseline or sunblock on your nose. If you are late, bring your phone in case we move to a more wind-sheltered place (a blacktop) I have in mind to the east of where we normally play. We will play.

Cheers,

Jason
301-277-6032
Jason Arthur T.
jasontaylor7
Group Organizer
Kensington, MD
Post #: 110
Nice game last week. If it’s raining, tomorrow’s game will be canceled. I was dreaming of a white Christmas, but it may be too hot to play! Everyone is pretty busy buying presents right now, so it’s ok if there is rain.

There’s now a new Christmas day game at 1pm scheduled.

For both games, bring both tennis shoes in the case we want to play on a nearby blacktop, although the Evans Parkway location is ruled out.

Merry Soccer,
Jason
301-277-6032
http://jasontaylor.us...­
Jason Arthur T.
jasontaylor7
Group Organizer
Kensington, MD
Post #: 111
We were muddied/rained out on Sunday, but we played on Christmas day instead. The score was 9-7, red over blue, before going into next point wins, with red getting the last point. Play of the day was Flo’s kick into the goal with the ball held firmly, but not firm enough, by Salvador. Blue had the Great Armel, but it wasn’t enough to counteract the Guillaume + Leo duo.

Leo was saying he is still sore from the Christmas day game, but if we get rained or muddied out tomorrow, expect a game on New Year’s day instead.

Jason
301-277-6032