addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Neighborhood Atheists and Agnostics Message Board Moving Forward... › Our children's future...

Our children's future...

tokeli
tokeli
Vista, CA
Post #: 19
The synergy between my Atheism and other philosophies and ideas has been staggering recently. I am growing in internal revolution, perhaps one which has been brewing all my life. How I feel about gods relates to how I feel about the world, its politics, philosophy, modes of thinking, eating, dreaming, and educating. One of the things I am discovering is that we cannot know what memes need a revolution when so much of what we assume everyday are bad habits in thinking. Our assumptions about education are a perfect example of this: we out to get out of linear thinking in terms of education. Organic, vital REAL education means letting go of heartfelt, OLD ideas like standardization. It's the McDonalds of learning, one size fits all. We MUST change; we MUST encourage creative problem-solving or we will never invent something new. The people who have been really inventing new ideas and things in the last 50 years have mostly been drop-outs, flunk-outs or unschooled in some way. What does that say about education? That we do not encourage creative thinking; we standardize learning so that only the children who can regurgitate information quickly can succeed, a future full of bureaucratic administrators? Many of my SDNA friends have been asking me about why I allowed my 8 year old to drop out of school and follow her own passions (it's called unschooling). There are many reasons, but before we continue this discussion, please visit this link. http://www.ted.com/ta...­
Matt S.
user 13476865
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
YES! EXACTLY! Education is SO important. You have a fantastic mind. I hope we can find way to work toward such revolutionary world changes.

You reminded me of this amazing video of a valedictorian giving a speech about education reform: http://www.youtube.co...­

I've not heard of unschooling, but it sounds fascinating. I'd love to talk to you about it sometime.