addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Alternative Energy Meetup Group Message Board Cars & Transportation › Hydraulic Hybrid vs. Electric Hybrid

Hydraulic Hybrid vs. Electric Hybrid

Ed F.
user 3520782
San Diego, CA
Post #: 6
Ok, hydraulic hybrids are not commercially available at this time; they are still on the drawing board, while electric hybrids are here now.

That obvious point aside, let's have some food for thought, some points to ponder so to speak. Let your imaginations run wild with this concept I'm about to introduce: The Hydraulic Hybrid, a concept being developed by a couple organizations; along with my own clever additionwink: a "pneumatic-hydraulic booster", which would add a plug-in capability.

I found this website contains a great description of the hydraulic hybrid, they call it the "Hydrid". Their technology is very cool, especially the free piston diesel engine. There are other organizations with different takes on the concept, including the UPS and the Federal Government. Essentially it's a 'series' type hybrid (Prius and other late models are 'parallel' type hybrids). If I'm understanding GM's executives correctly, the Volt will be a series type electric hybrid and therefore will be designed to maximize ICE efficiency, much like that which is described by the hydrid website.

Hydraulic technology could circumvent numerous problems associated with battery based techniques. Simply view hydraulics as a different way to store and convert energy to automobile motion.

Hydraulic technology is well understood, reliable and heavily used by tractors, manufacturing equipment, jumbo-jets (EHA's an acronym for "electro-hydraulic actuator" to move wing flaps, rudder, and landing gear), our cars (automatic transmissions, power steering and power brakes). The technology is scalable from very small to locomotives and beyond.

A "plug-in" capability is not discussed by this website, but could be created by adding compressed air with an existing technology called a "pneumatic-hydraulic booster" to step-up the hydraulic fluid to the required working pressure. Heck, electro-hydraulic pumps could also be used, which of course would require batteries again.

Take care,
Ed Fraser

The website: www.innas.com