addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Alternative Energy Meetup Group Message Board Solar & Electric › renewable electricity coops?

renewable electricity coops?

user 7198327
San Diego, CA
Post #: 7
An increasing number of people are interested in using renewable electricity to power their homes. Unfortunately, most people either don't have a home suitable to use these systems or can't afford the up front expense of putting the systems in.

I called SDGE to see if they had any programs that would let me pay extra to insure that I'm purchasing renewable energy to power my house, but they don't have anything like this.

This seems like a simple enough concept...why isn't this available in San Diego? Does anyone know if there are any organizations that do something like this?

I'm thinking of simply pooling money from large numbers of people, build solar/wind farms, then sell this power to a utility company. The contributors to this organization could then get energy credits to use to offset utility bills (or sell for that matter).

This would do several things including:

• leverage economies of scale to build more efficient alternative energy systems
  • use land that is better suited and more efficient than people's homes
  • allow varying levels of investment/returns rather than require huge upfront investment
  • finance renewable energy with money that is currently be used to pay for non-renewable electricity

Does something like this already exist? Are there other ways to invest in/support renewable energy outside of putting up a windmill or adding solar panels to your home? I know that I can invest in stock of companies that make these products, but what if I want to more directly impact my energy usage?
user 7198327
San Diego, CA
Post #: 8
I think I found an answer to my least in terms of wind energy coops.

This article summarizes the complex nature of the tax incentives for wind energy corporations and how the current laws inhibit ownership by large numbers of people...

Hopefully this will be addressed in the coming months/years and this type of renewable energy ownership by individuals will grow significantly.

If anyone has any other information on this, please let me know...

A former member
Post #: 286
Oh that so totally sucks big time. It's as if they purposely wrote the laws to give even more money to robber barons while avoiding us normal people.

I bet it was written and passed by Republicans and Democrats...