addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Jeffrey Paul A.
San Diego, CA
Post #: 25
I know there was a discussion last month about whether alternative energies should, or should not, compete without government subsidies. But I just heard McCain talking about drilling and how that is going to make life so much better for us, which is simply making me angry and motivating me to get my weapons in order.

I want to start a new thread having to do with the facts, and I'd like to know what they are. I found this link, which is older data. Anyone have newer data? My guess is the Bush administration has given more subsidies to oil than was the case in this report. I'd like to be armed with current facts.

As far as I can tell from this table, renewables got about one fourth of all energy subsidies in 1999. In my opinion, if we want to accelerate development, the incentives need to be tipped the other way. A majority of our support for energy should go to renewables.. maybe up to 75%. Since this is R&D, it has to do with reducing the future cost of these energy supplies. Given that, should we give anything to coal at all? It's not about greed - it's business. Make it profitable and people will do it. Conversely, providing incentives to do business as usual makes it less likely that we will make radical change.

Anybody have recent facts to help me out?
A former member
Post #: 275
Yes, check out the latest here: http://www.eia.doe.go...­