addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

The San Antonio Nature Hounds Message Board › Hello, my name is Kenny and I'm an......

Hello, my name is Kenny and I'm an......

A former member
Post #: 484
alcoholic?NO drug addict?NO dog group organizer that is always learning more and more about it's members (both human & canine) YES!
There have been some situations (I prefer to call them opportunities) happen that have been brought to my attention and caused me to do some research and ask some questions so that I can be more informed about the interactions of our 4 legged members.
We must all understand that, as much as we love them, they are still dogs and can be unpredictable at times. Try to relate our time spent as a group to the time you spend with people (without dogs), such as family members or coworkers. You think you really know that person, then one morning, he comes storming into work, ready to bite the head off of anybody that gets near him!! You have NO idea of "who pissed in his Cheerio's", but you do your best to stay clear (or maybe have a few kind words with him and get him out of "that mindset").
Why can't our dogs just have a "bad day?" It is OUR responsibility to ALWAYS be aware of our pets and their surroundings. If they're being unrulely and you can't get them to behave, please be courteous to others and take your furry friend away from the group (or ,as a last resort, leave if it is necessary).
One thing that I was reminded of, while in an idle position, it is a good idea to try to follow the 3 foot rule (keep a 3 foot distance between your dog and any other one). Some dogs get "crowded and may react to others invading their space.
I must admit, I did NOT fully understand the logic behind some of our rules and I asked those who are more knowledgeable, questions. For example, it is quite obvious as to why one would NOT want a female (that has not been spayed) at an off leash event. If she's in heat, I could see all hell breaking loose!
I was ignorant in my opinion of unaltered male dogs. I just figured it had something to do with them "humping" every dog in sight and causing problems. WOW, was I naive! I have since learned that neutering actually reduces the level of testosterone flow in the dog, common sense, right? What I did NOT know was that other (altered) males can actually pickup on the elevated testosterone levels in an unaltered male and be threatened by them.
This can cause the NEUTERED male to develop a more AGGRESSIVE attitude! This same condition can exist between spayed and non-spayed females! So, in essence, it could go either way, the unaltered dog could BE the alpha or he may just be reacting in a defensive mode!
I could go on & on about what I've learned in the last few days, but I digress. Bottom line, get educated about your pet and you'll be suprised how much more tolerant of others you will become.
I have no intentions of imposing a bunch of rules and regulations on this group, I'd rather just share a little useful informationwink
A former member
Post #: 148
Loved your opening, Kenny smile And, thanks for thinking/learning about these things, then passing them along. This is so timely, in my opinion, because I think we are all struggling with finding a balance between our needs and wants as individuals and our place in community(ies).

Nature Hounds is a great group of people + dogs and I have a lot of faith in us.

A former member
Post #: 1
Wow! Thanks for such a well written post; I learned a lot from it. Pree
Jacqueline F.
user 7145019
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 26
Thank you for the info.! This is something that we do forget sometimes, that our four legged furry friends are animals at the end of the day.
latrenda
latrenda
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 1,219
So well written and interesting. Thanks Kenny!
So many reasons to spay or neuter our pets. What you just mentioned is a big reason. Of course the huge numbers of strays dying in the streets, and pets dying in shelters everyday is a big reason as well.
Additionally, speutering can eliminate or reduce:
marking
roaming (running away)
testicle cancer
mammary cancer*
pyrometra

*did you know that a dog who is spayed after having heat cycles is still at risk for mammary cancer? Not as at risk as a dog who is not spayed, but still at risk. A vet told me that humans should perform breast exams on female dogs who were fixed past puberty.