addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

San Franciso Game Development Meetup Group Message Board › Can anybody recommend an agent for a freelance Game Writer?

Can anybody recommend an agent for a freelance Game Writer?

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi,
How do game writers find gigs out here? Are there a few key recruiters/agents who deal with the game development side of things? Gamasutra never posts game writer gigs so...not sure how to get started? I'm most interested in story creation for games for girls.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Merritt
A former member
Post #: 1
Interesting question. Having just lived in LA it's amazing how structured writing for film is, and how unstructured writing for games is. Seems to me that most game designers take the role of writer themselves until recently. I think I've seen writing jobs, just very rarely. I'd be interested in hearing your experiences if you get some gigs.
Chris T.
user 8619764
Rohnert Park, CA
Well, I am a game writer as well. From my experience, it's sort of a who you know/networking sort of thing. Or at least that is how I have gotten any of my game writing jobs, and offers. And that is not just networking locally, or among other game writers or developers at game developer get togethers, cons, shows, or whateve in the industry. I've done a lot of networking among other writing communities that I am a part of---like HWA, at World Fantasy and World Horror conventions and regional events, etc. There is a small group of people I find there who either also write for games, have written for games, or work in some fashion or another for a game company. So far I've just kept my ear to the ground, and try to keep in touch with people I do know who are connected---it helps if they actually become your friends, too. Most jobs, though, have been freelance, and not from local companies, which I can do mostly from home/or email or other forms of contact. Looking for a writing job where you actually work with/at the company seems to be a lot rarer, and those that I've heard or known of would have always required relocation---which I wasn't able or willing to do at the time.
Anyway, hope this helps.
If you do hear about an agent/recruiter type person, however, please let me know! It'd be very useful---not just for writers as individuals, but also for any one looking for writers or similar talent! If there isn't such a thing already, then there surely should be!

Good luck,
Chris
A former member
Hey I recommend Jim Arnoff This is his email. Drop him a line.