addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The NYC Skateboarding Meetup Group Message Board › recommendations for beginners?

recommendations for beginners?

A former member
Post #: 4
I want to buy my first skateboard... and since i am a beginner and do not know much about skateboarding... and i do not have many skater friends to ask questions, i wanted to ask the group for recommendations.
what board and gear combinations would you recommend for a beginner ? or on what board did you start skating?

I went to see the boards at the element store in times square yesterday and was very surprised to learn that there are so many shapes and sizes!!
and it cost anywhere between $100-$220.
thinking of visiting the autumn store in the east village next.

any tips will be helpful.
A former member
Post #: 2
Buy a helmet and knee and elbow pads, wrist guards opional . You going to fall down a lot in the beginning, I mostly longboard, dealing with skateboards I little bit. I would say because of your size your best option is a 31in length 7.5 width board with 52mm size hard wheels (standrard skateboard size) medium hardness for bushings. I wouldn't try to spend a lot or buy a pro model for your first skateboard because you'll be going to a process of finding the best skateboard that works for you. Example you going to focus on cruising or tricks. The Internet can help you with riding tips, stance and other things. There is no one size fits all when it comes to skateboarding & longboarding. While they may look the same wheels, bushings(hardness) size of the board can be adjusted to fit the individual rider. I hope that I was able to help clear things up for you.
A former member
Post #: 5
Hi Matthew. thanks so much! That was really helpful!
Matthew A.
user 4456723
Rego Park, NY
Post #: 71
Matthew gave you good advice. My recomendation is not to worry too much about shape or sizes or brands. Most shops have beginner or 'starter' set ups. For a beginner the focus should be to try it out and to see if you like it. Most boards would do, but the quality is a lot less at sporting stores like Model's or Sport's Authority. So get one at a skate shop but don't worry about getting the best bearings or wheels. My suggestion is to get an affordable board and if you like skating after you're more acquanted with it treat yourself to a better one.