What we're about
Do you want to start your own business but not sure where or how to start? Well, this group could be for you.
Hi, I'm Jason, host of this Meetup group and I originally founded this group as a place to help others progress through a journey that I experienced myself - finding work that I would love doing and escaping my 9 to 5 job. We had some great Meetup's, working through a series of tools and techniques that had previously helped me find out who I was, what I would love doing and how to go about starting that. Then the thing that I started, my own coffee brand, kind of took over, hence the meetings sadly had to stop.
Well, given everything going on in the world right now, it seems to me that even more people might be in a similar position to where I was a few years ago, wondering what they should be doing with their career/lives. Or may be they've been forced to rethink their future through changes to their current job or even redundancy.
So, I have an idea that might help…I’m thinking of running a course to help people who want to start their own business. Kind of a Startup School, that would guide you through taking an idea and turning it in to a business. Navigate you through the many challenges and pitfalls that exist and getting to your first sale as quickly, cost efficiently and safely as possible.
Initially this would be a trial course and I would be looking for about 10 people to participate. It would run something like this:
- Duration: 10 weeks
- Date/Time: One evening, 2 hours per week, plus ‘homework’ time. Potential for an additional 30 min 1:1 session each week to check on progress and discuss challenges
- Content: Each week would focus on a different module of work required to get your business up and running, e.g. idea validation, sales, marketing etc. I would provide advice and guidance on what you need to do to progress each area. There would be ‘homework’ to complete between sessions, e.g. building a one page website or creating a draft marketing plan, again guidance provided.
- Venue: Online (via Zoom)
Who would this course be suitable for?
- Someone that has the desire to start their own business but is not sure how or where to start
- Someone that has an idea (however vague) that wants to test whether it could turn into a business
- Someone who is committed to putting in the time and effort to completing the course (see expected time commitment above)
- Someone who can attend all 10 sessions online, if these were to run on the same evening each week for 2 hours per session
- Someone who is open to trying something new and prepared to provide feedback on the experience
So, ARE YOU INTERESTED? If enough people are then I will run the course. Message me and let me know. Or if you have any further questions, happy to answer those as well.
Finally, to give you a bit of background about me and my experience in this area:
- For the past 4 years, I have created and ran my own coffee brand (www.newkingscoffee.co.uk)
- During this process, I validated the idea, built and tested a prototype, sourced suppliers, created a brand, built a website, listed on Amazon, sold to businesses, listed with a national retailer, exported to Europe and the Middle East, hired a team and dealt with about a million other challenges along the way
- I’ve also been a mentor to a number of small businesses over the last 5 years, including a social enterprise, digital marketing agency, travel company and tech startup
- I’ve been a participant on the NatWest Accelerator programme (3 times) and the Origin Startup programme, as well as completing numerous business training courses
- I’m also training to be a small business coach
So to recap…if you have a desire to start your own business but don’t know where to start and this trial course sounds like it might be helpful, let me know that you’re interested by messaging me (there’s no obligation). If 10 suitable people express an interest, then I’ll run the course and you may even make your first sale before Easter!
Look forward to hearing from you.