addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Queen City Game Club Message Board Hobby Gaming (Miniature War Games) › WHFB Battle Report - Skaven vs. High Elves 1500pt

WHFB Battle Report - Skaven vs. High Elves 1500pt

Alex
mountainjack
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 16
So Erik and I held our first 1500 pt Warhammer battle last week. Previously we had played a few 1000 point games to learn the rules so now we were ready to test out our armies in a larger scale battle. I brought my skaven army and Erik brought his high elf army. Most or our armies are still unpainted but we did get to try out some the terrain pieces that I have been modelling. It was nice to see everything layed out on the table. We alternated deploying units. Erik deployed his defensive and ranged units (Phoenix Guard and Sea Guard) in the middle of the table on his edge. He placed two units of Sword Masters on either flank which were his main assault units. His mage who also served as the army genereal deployed behind the main infantry lines. I deployed my two 47 strong skaven slave units at an offset to the battleline so they could provide cover to the other units from missile fire from the outset. My main block of clan rats went behind the skaven slave unit and bunkered both my main caster, general and battle standard bearer. I had a backup caster in the form of a plague priest who went down the center lane between the skaven slave units. On one flank I put a giant rat unit and on the other I placed my Hellpit Abomination and Rat Ogre unit. Finally, I held a unit of gutter runners off the table using the sneaky infiltrator rule which allows them to deploy from any table edge in a later turn.
Erik won the roll off and lead off for the first turn. He marched his Phoenix Guard right up the middle of the battle field towards the bridge that provided the best crossing point for the river on the battlefield. His Sea Guard advanced behind them. Both units of Swordmasters march moved directly forward along there respective flanks. During his magic phase he cast the Transformation of Kadon which transformed his caster into a Black Hydra. I was unable to dispel since he cast with irresistable force thanks to his Book of Hoeth item selection. Few viable shooting targets presented themselves and no units were engaged in close combat so that ended Erik's turn. My turn started off rather poorly. My hellpit abomination which is subject to compulsory movement every turn ended up going haywire and randomly moving off the table. Although the unit was not lost as a result it meant that my primary hammer unit wouldn't be back in the battle until at least turn 3. I advanced one unit of skaven slaves directly toward the bridge to head off Erik's Phoenix Guard. My other slave unit march moved towards the right flank to head of the swordmasters on that flank. My rat ogre unit also march moved along that flank as well. I moved my giant rat unit into a forest that sat off on the left flank. Finally, my clanrat unit march moved up the middle of the battle field and took position behind some soft cover. During my magic phase I cast a scorch spell that took out a couple of Phoenix Guard but they were mostly unscathed due to there high ward save that proved to be a real challenge the entire game. I also attempted to cast the dreaded 13th spell but its casting value proved to high to get it off successfully. I took a shot with my plague wind mortar in the shooting phase and took out a couple of sea guard. Once again with no units engaged in close combat that ended my turn. On turn two I activated my storm banner which provided some protection from missile attacks so I would have time to either engage in close combat or find cover. Erik advanced his phoenix guard over the bridge and his sea guard took up position just across the bridge from my half of the battle field. His sword masters continued their advance along both flanks. Finally, his mage which was still transformed into a Black Hydra march moved along the flank to join the sword masters on the right. Because he was still in Hydra form no magic occurred during his magic phase. He used his shooting phase to have his sea guard target my skaven slave unit which took a single casualty as a result thanks to the storm banner. On my turn I declared charges with the slave unit against the mage turned black hydra and with my rat ogres against the sword masters (which proved a big mistake). My gutter runners which I had held back also came on the table this turn and I deployed them along the left table edge. My hellpit abomination also made a return to the table but could not move this turn. Finally my remaining slave unit moved directly 1" in front of the phoenix guard preventing them from advancing any further and forcing them to charge next turn if they wanted to maneuver any further. During the magic phase I attempted to dispel the transformation spell on Erik's mage but failed. So during close combat his black hydra took out 11 slaves. The slaves did zero in return. My rat ogres faired similarly bad. All but 1 got cut down before they could attack the sword masters back. The one surviving rat ogre managed to destroy two sword masters in the exchange. On turn three Erik's phoenix guard charged my skaven slave unit. During close combat they managed to cut down a handful of slaves and lost a man or two in exchange. On the right flank, Erik's black hydra took out a fistful more of slaves and the sword masters finished off the remaining rat ogres. My hell pit finally started advancing down the battle field. During the magic phase I was able to dispel the transformation spell on Erik's mage returning him to his usual frail caster stats. My gutter runners fired some poisoned sling shots at the swordmasters on the left flank and managed to slay a few. Finally during close combat my slave unit was able to apply two wounds on Erik's caster, just 1 wound short of what I needed to finish him off. My plague priest took one wound as well from engaging with Erik's phoenix guard on the flank.
Turn 4 was the major turning point in the battle. Erik was able to recast his transformation spell which this time turned him into a great fire dragon. He annihilated a number of my slaves and they did nothing return. His sword masters also engaged the slave unit in the flank but they were not strong enough to break or disrupt the unit. My hellpit abomination was able to then flank charge the sword masters who fell to its impact hits and flailing arms attack. During my magic phase I was able to dispel the transformation spell again which allowed my remaining slaves to finish off Erik's wizard in close combat. The phoenix guard and skaven slaves in the center of the battle field traded blows again and a couple ranks of slaves were lost while a few phoenix guard went down. My plague priest was also slain by the phoenix guard during close combat.
Turn 5 saw the definitive end of the battle. The defining moment was when I successfully cast the dreaded 13th spell against Erik's phoenix guard. This wiped out his phoenix guard unit and turned them into a clan rat unit under my control. From that point forward most of the battle was spent wiping up units or chasing fleeing units down. A close match overall, but a victory for the rats in the end.
Marty C
WolfpackEE
Waxhaw, NC
Post #: 5
Thanks for the report. How long did the match take?
Alex
mountainjack
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 17
Set up took about 30 minutes and then the game lasted 3 - 3 1/2 hours.
Erik T
netrimos
Fort Mill, SC
Post #: 7
1000 points does not take as long, but it is not nearly as much fun.