addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Success-411 New Haven Message Board › What can we do to get participation?

What can we do to get participation?

A former member
Post #: 5
Last nights meeting was very good. But small. Jeffrey, David and me. It was still very informative. David and Jeffrey both provided me with great feedback which is what I needed - and is why I joined this group.

What is perplexing to me is that we had 11 people two meetings ago and 7 the following meeting. At each meeting, the members have claimed allegiance to the group. Yet our numbers keep dropping. What needs to be done to keep people attending?

I have suggested that it would be a great idea if, at each meeting, someone was willing to come talk about what they do in technology. And teach the rest of us. If this idea was acted upon we would all come out of EACH meeting more informed. And over the course of a year we would have a tremendous amount of information under our belts - something very valuable in an economic environment where companies want employees to wear many hats.

It just seems to me that a great opportunity is being wasted here. I wish I could light a fire under the rest of you.

Cheri

A former member
Post #: 204
i would love to join the meetings but the only nights i can get out are sat, sun mondays
KWOTE S.
KWOTESCRIPTURES
Stamford, CT
Post #: 8
Idea: Several meetings with recaps for the rest of the members who didn't attend. I think this would benefit us all and we would have a knowledge base (library) to refer to and apply in our careers.

- David
Phuc
user 9935879
Milford, CT
Post #: 103
Yes recaps are a good idea.. so we know what was discussed. I have a Web Technology group on facebook and I leave brief summaries of each time we meet/socialize. I think these message boards are a start to getting others to participate in the actual meet ups for this group.

As for the meetings, I apologize for being noticeably out of tune last time. I was pretty much beat from my 1st week of work & amount of prep prior, then the long drive that by the time I got there I was totally beat. I realize I may not want to drive down there for awhile for these meet ups. Which leads to another suggestion.. I think it's always good to mix up the location so other members in other locations have a chance to join in, and as I have suggested prior, the venue.. coffee shops with free wifi would be great too because we can bring our laptops and share things online or do screen confrencing. Not all of us have the global wifi stuff. It doesn't *always* have to be a coffee shop, but mixing it up a little. Perhaps experiment different venus and see who shows up where.. or have a vote on the Polls?

Another reason I suggest it is based other meet up groups I've gone to that happen to be at coffee shops as well. One of the groups show up with about 20+ members every month and they're not all the same people, which is cool because I'm always meeting someone new. Also to ease off any commitment pressures, maybe set a date when existing members can come and then see who comes. I've noticed asking when everyone is tough because everyone has different schedules.

If it's about the beer, I did find a coffee shop that has wine and beer AND free wireless. I met with members last minute and they enjoyed it as well. :)

Most importantly, I think, like everyone suggested, going around and sharing something for a few minutes is a great idea as soon as there's an environment to (e.g. venue w/wireless & projector). The two times I was there I could see how it's a bit tough to at the meetings we went to because it's focused on a few members discussing and on narrow topics. I know we all have opportunities to jump in but I don't want to interrupt so I just listen. Someone suggested a certain amount of time (10-15 minutes each person), so I did that w/my group and everyone seemed pretty happy with that.

Just a few suggestions.. I think I posted a few more on the other boards. But don't be discouraged, it's just going to be trial an error. Jeffrey had mentioned him being a new organizer who's new at meetups. So with everything new and rebuilding group, it's trial and error and frustrations at first. Just get a feel of the members, what works/what doesn't. Definitely keep alert to any feed back given from members and why they joined this group.

Hope that helps,
Good luck!
A former member
Post #: 1
Idea: Several meetings with recaps for the rest of the members who didn't attend. I think this would benefit us all and we would have a knowledge base (library) to refer to and apply in our careers.

- David
Hello,

I am a new member and I think this is a good idea. Meeting minutes have always helped me to remember and track past discussions. I believe if we capture and post the minutes, then perhaps this will encourage other members to participate in the upcoming meetings.
KWOTE S.
KWOTESCRIPTURES
Stamford, CT
Post #: 13
What is everyone's focus in the New Year? Can't wait for the next meeting.