addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Tarrant County Libertarian Meetup Message Board › How can we become activated?

How can we become activated?

A former member
Post #: 1
I have long been disillusioned with the Republican Party. I won't even start on where I am with the Democratic Party. I knew what I believed about personal freedom - for the longest I considered myself a social liberal (I don't really care what people do as long as they're not interfering with other people's rights in the process) but definitely conservative in the size of government, and in spending. I have voted republican for the longest time, not because I embraced all of their philosophies (their unmoving stances on things like same-sex marriage make me roll my eyes - why waste time discussing that???), but because they were, in my mind, the lesser of two evils.

So, imagine my surprise, as a sheltered girl in the Bible belt, when I found out there were people out there who believed exactly as I believed. I went on CATO.org and I knew I had found the party! :-)

I want to do more! I have talked to everyone who will listen and people my age are SICK of government beaurocracy and stupid laws and we want change! Not anarchy (as I was accused of wanting - ha!) but change. I have 2 brothers in the military. I have a lot of conservative values - but freedom is at the top of my list.

So my question is - what can I do? We can make a difference! We can get out there and make some changes, we just have to wake up the sleeping Americans and give them another choice!

I'm excited, and today I voted all Libertarian! It was the first time I have felt like I made a difference with my vote.
A former member
Post #: 5
Joni,

Welcome aboard, from a former disillusioned Republican. :^)

Regarding what you can do, right now I'd say attend as many TCLP events as you can, especially the candidate forums and high school debate forums. As the party grows and we find more people that want to be actively involved, we (the executive committee) will likely be creating several "functional coordinator" positions such as Media Coordinator, Fund-Raising Coordinator, Outreach Coordinator, etc. for those interested in actively supporting the TCLP.

In the mean time, spread the word, recruit folks, and join us at the various meetups.

Welcome aboard!

John S. Jones
A former member
Post #: 2
I replied to your emails - and I'm not putting on my running shoes! :-)
Richard K.
RichardKeller
Colleyville, TX
Post #: 2
I would love to get involved too... I know I'm a little late for this election, but there's always 2010 and 2012!
A former member
Post #: 14
Excellent Richard, great to have you aboard! After we do a bit of "strategerizing" for 2009/2010, we'll have plenty of opportunities for active members to jump in and help us grow. We expect the TCLP to grow considerably in the next two years...glad you want to be a part of it! :^)

John J