What we’re about
SWFL Tech Nights organizes live speaking events (online and in person) and projects on a variety of tech topics revolving around Southwest Florida. The goal is to provide a learning environment to those who want to get involved in the technology field. A large portion of our members are youth and faculty from local schools and universities related to tech careers. We also have a large representation of members from local businesses and organizations.
Upcoming events (1)See all
- Why not take your Scrum home?Collaboratory, Fort Myers, FL
- 6:30pm: Arrival and Welcome!
- 6:40pm: Why not take your Scrum home? presented by Marilu Garbi.
- 7:30pm - 8:00pm: Discussion and After-party Networking, Food and Beverage.
About our presentation and our Speaker: Why not take your Scrum home? presented by Marilu Garbi.
I became a Scrum Master in 2019 and since then I’ve applied it to my personal and work life in unusual ways. I think it’s because I came to Scrum from a different path. I’m a journalist from Venezuela and an entreprenuer since I arrive in the US in 2000. Collaborating with other people at work and at home to achieve my goals has been a constant throughout those years. Scrum was a new and clear methodology for me to do that more efficiently and effectively, and the results were phenomenal. I want to share my most useful insights.
“It’s a way to get work done as a team in small pieces at a time(1), with continuous experimentation and feedback loops(2) along the way to learn and improve as you go. Scrum helps people and teams deliver value(3) incrementally in a collaborative way(4).”
Let’s unpack that to achieve “productivity with ease” (my silly mantra :)
- One thing at a time. Trust me, it’s more productive that way. Multitasking is a myth.
- Don’t have to get it right at first. The power of iteration when trying something new.
- Clarity of focus. Get it out of your worried head and into a piece of paper. Where you place your attention, happens (more effortlessly than you think.)
- Getting thing to-done. Emphasize the process over the goals.
- BONUS Time box your dreams. If it isn’t in the calendar, it doesn’t exist.