What we're about
"Tempe's HOME of Flag Football - The BEST Game in Town!"
Come join us for some competitive and friendly flag football!
We take to the field every Saturday afternoon, year round at the fields at Benedict Sports Complex, 490 West Guadalupe, Tempe, AZ 85282 (corner of Guadalupe and Kyrene). Find us on one of the four main soccer fields, or on the field around the back left corner of the building.
During the summer season, games get started at 5pm and end around sunset. Come to the field around 4:30, if you want to get warmed up. Feel free to show up any time after we've started (sub in, if game is underway).
Our turnouts have consistently been higher than the RVSP count, but please RSVP in advance, if possible, because it tends to bring an even larger number of players. Drop ins and new players always welcome.
Players are mostly men 18+ though all ages, genders and levels of ability or experience are welcome!
Just bring cleats (https://gotflagfootball.com/best-football-cleats-tackle-flag-football/), football gloves (https://gotflagfootball.com/best-football-gloves-tackle-flag-football/) (optional), mouth guard (optional), shorts without pockets (if you have them), water and a desire to play some football.
Game format and rules vary slightly based on the number of players, but usually goes as follows:
- Teams will be picked by the QBs prior to the start of the game
- Format is 8v8-4v4, depending on turnout
- First team to score 24 points or more, wins
- TDs are worth 6 points. Extra point attempts = 1 point from 5 yards out, 2 points from 10 yards out
- Intercepted passes during an extra point attempt may be run back for a score of 2 pts
- Ball is placed 5 yards up from the goal line to begin the game, as well as each new offensive possession
- Minimum of 3 offensive lineman must line up on the LOS. Contact is allowed at the line of scrimmage, such as pass and run blocking, DBs jamming at the line, as well as limited contact in the case of downfield blocks, during pass or run plays
- No blatant pick plays where WR intentionally run into DBs; no tackling or pulling a player to the ground. No one should get laid out!
- Ball must be snapped by the center; any ball that is snapped between center and QB that touches the ground is dead and the next play begins at that spot
- First downs: every 20 yards after crossing each yellow cone. Four downs per drive with change of possession, if the offense doesn't score
- Offense may elect to "punt" on 4th down resulting in a change of possession and the other team's offense starts their drive from 5 yards off the goal line
- Offense has 30 seconds between plays to snap the ball
- QB is allowed to run at any time; unlimited handoffs and passes behind the line of scrimmage are permitted
- If defenders blitz, they must begin the play a number of yards off the line (8v8 or 7v7: 1 yard off ... 6v6 or 5v5: 5 yards off)
- If QB is sacked in the end zone, safety: 2 pts to the defense and that team begins a new offensive possession on the 5 yard line (full length of field to score)
- No flag guarding allowed (his includes unintentionally swiping hands while running and stiff-arming). Play stops and ball is dead at the spot of the flag guard
- The ball carrier cannot leave his feet: no jumping forward, diving, etc. Spin moves are legal
- Any player, on offense or defense, has a right to their position on the field. Basically this means don't bull-rush when blitzing (attempt to go around blockers with a swim move); don't truck a defender as a ball carrier
- No fumble recovery: the ball is dead if a ball carrier drops it. Any ball in the air is up for grabs and can be returned for additional yardage or score
*Physical fighting will lead to ejection! Above all, we want to avoid injury. Smack talk is okay, but let's keep it social and FUN!
**Please note, if all fields at Benedict Sports Complex are occupied, find us a few minutes down the road off at Kiwanis Recreation Center fields at the corner of Guadalupe and All America Way.
Any questions? Drop it in the comment section and we will get back to you.
See you on the field!
***No cost to play - big thanks to GotFlagFootball.com (https://gotflagfootball.com/) for sponsor support!***
Flag football resources:
• Equipment reviews (https://gotflagfootball.com/category/reviews/)
• Cleats (https://gotflagfootball.com/best-football-cleats-tackle-flag-football/)
• Gloves (https://gotflagfootball.com/best-football-gloves-tackle-flag-football/)
• Flags (https://gotflagfootball.com/best-flag-football-belts-flag-a-tag-vs-triple-threat/)
• Strategy (https://gotflagfootball.com/category/strategy/)
• Leagues in Arizona (https://gotflagfootball.com/adult-flag-football-leagues/arizona/)