What we're about
The name of this meetup group is called "The Jaunters". It’s the perfect definition for what we do i.e. excursion, outing, pleasure trip, junket, sashay, expedition.
From what I have seen, people are making friendships, trying new things and having fun along the way. Which gives me hope, that this particular meetup group has something special i.e. Potential to have a real sense of ‘Community, Friendship and Reliability’.
The Jaunter's have been a pretty active meetup group since 2011. In the last 2 years, there have been over 300 events held. All of these events are thanks to the help of volunteers, who share their hobbies and passions in hosting events for the group.
‘Community spirit’ is a big part of who we are. We are active supporters of local festivals, charities and businesses. We are also a ‘community meetup group’, that gives back to the ‘community’ to help support charities such as Oz Harvest, Red Cross, Beyond Blue and Cancer Council.
Our events are generally inspired by things happening in and around Sydney. 'Quirky, creative, fun, hidden gems, cheap and cheerful' are often common themes and experiences.
To give you a snapshot of the type of events held so far, here are some of my favourite Jaunter's experiences:
• I’m a foodie at heart, and love going to eat at places which have signature dishes, hidden gems, and cheap & cheerful.
We’ve dined at over 130+ Sydney restaurants including Arias, Din Tai Fung and Sokyo. And even held our own Jaunter's Hatted Restaurant Festival in 2014, all on a shoestring budget.
• Not to mention desserts galore… Gelato, Macarons, Scones with clotted cream and jam. Yumo! :) The Jaunter’s are such dessert enthusiasts, that we have even held our own series of dessert events called the ‘Jaunter's Dessert Safari and Jaunter's High Tea on the Run’.
• We’ve been to quirky small bars with character with the likes of Baxter's Inn, Shady Pines and even a french pub called LE PUB.
• Art & photography have played a big inspiration. We have been to the Vivid, Sculptures by the Sea, Art & About and Biennale.
• We also went to a lot of free community events and festivals including Sydney Festival, Sydney Film Festival, Festival of the Winds, Aroma Coffee festival and Bizarre Markets.
• We have the occasional friday night at the flicks and enjoy watching french movies.
• And yes, we still have time to fit in some active activities like the Amazing Race, Go Karting, Lawn Bowls and Laser Skirmish...
There has been a huge variety of events, hence there is usually something for everyone in the Jaunter’s. :)