addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Fall colors!

Fall colors!

A former member
Post #: 87
Hello all

I'm thinking of heading to the Sierra this weekend to find fall colors. Perhaps I'll do a loop 88-89-108/120 with some hiking or climbing mixed in. Is anyone interested in planning something?

Kimberly
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Kim,
For colors now, I would suggest lower places, somewhat 3000 to 4500 ft. That's where maples and oaks are. Off 108, Clavey river area is my favorite. Cherry creek, below and above the lake, is very colorful, too. Myself, I go for a 2-nights lazy camping at Utica lake - it is above 7000 ft, mostly pine, only brush will be in full color. The trip is posted in Boomer Backpackers group, yet nobody signed up so far. You are welcome to join, if you wish.
- Alex.
DavidS
user 35192132
Campbell, CA
Post #: 2
A fresh October 16 report on calphoto groups relates Hope Valley and lake level Tahoe westside areas have reached peak with nice displays which has shown the sequence of the northern areas peaking later has again been the situation. I worked mid elevation areas near Bridgeport two weeks ago which were at or near peak at the time so those areas are likely well passed peak with remaining lower elevation streamside aspen areas being left between there and Bishop. Thus would suggest your best bet is going over Carson Pass. Personally I'm rather tangled up in domestic issues this weeknd so probably cannot escape even though I'd othewise try to. At short notice like this Saturday would be an excellent time for anyone to do a day trip over Carson Pass on SR88 then looping south on SR89 past Markleville, and west on SR4 over Ebbetts Pass. Best of luck.

Further out for lower areas Alex mentions, I'd expect one to two weekends hence is more likely to have the best colors for Pacific dogwood, bigleaf maples, and black oaks. Am considering taking a day of PTO off maybe at the 11/3>4 weekend while camping down at Mountain Home Demonstration State Forest that is a giant sequoia forest with fine areas of fall color below the big trees. It has the best free no fee developed campgrounds in the Sierra though ironically few people have ever heard of it much less visit. See this link:

http://www.oocities.o...­
Lori
user 17891291
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hi David: That link didn't work for me. But I checked the Cal Fire web site on Mountain Home and it says you have to pay a fee for camping. Is there a secret spot c.g. that is no-fee?
Lori

From the Cal Fire web site:
Campsites are open from May through October, depending upon snow conditions. There are 5 public campgrounds with campfire rings, tables and bear-proof food lockers provided. Campgrounds have potable water and pit toilets. Camping at MHDSF requires a camping permit and payment of a fee. Permits and payment information are available at the entrance to each campground. Pets are welcome but must be controlled by the owner at all times. Horses and pack animals are not allowed in campgrounds but may be kept in the public corrals near Shake Camp. Hunting is permitted under applicable State game laws and regulations.

For More Information
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
Mountain Home Demonstration State Forest
P.O. Box 517
Springville, CA 93265
(559) 539-2321 summer
(559) 539-2855 winter

A former member
Post #: 3
A teaser from my last trip on Nov 2-4:
http://www.panoramio....­