addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Thinkers' Club Message Board › What do women want? Speak up ladies!

What do women want? Speak up ladies!

Amy
user 8342056
Twinsburg, OH
Post #: 18

I ran into one of the women in our group today at the library, and we had a very interesting conversation about women's participation in the group.

As the group's moderator, I feel that it is my responsibility to pay attention to members who participate in the meetings and on the website. First of all, the women (accept for me) for the most part talk and participate the meetings very little. I find myself having to pull comments out of them.

Now if you are thinking for even a second that women are just not as interested in philosophy as men or that women just don't have as much to say about philosophy as men then I'm going to stop you right there and tell you that you're wrong. I've had way to many brilliant female philosophy professors and peers in undergrad and grad school to entertain that.

It just happens to be the case that all the "great" books of the Western history of philosophy are have male authors...and most of them have to interject somewhere in their books that women have the intelligence of a mule or that women have to be beaten into submission or that women can't reason morally....either that or they are constantly fixated on subjects in the public sphere that do not interest a lot of women (like warfare and torture and fights for power and bashing in others' skulls). Men: that may be interesting you - and to some women out there for sure - but generally NOT as interesting to women.

I'm sort of thinking that women might be interested in how contemporary writers have responded to the fact that Western philosophical history between 500BC and 1930AD has by and large not recognized the contributions of female philosophers/ has not seen many contributions. I think that women might be more interested in more contemporary philosophical debates.

So what I'm asking for here is that the women to speak up. What interests you? Why did you join this group? What interests you about philosophy (and I'm not defining philosophy as "Plato, Aristotle, Machivelli, Kant, Hume, etc.")? How should philosophy be definined? Would you like to hear what female authors have to say? Is there a particular reason why you don't feel as though you can or should or want to participate more in this group?

Please speak up and do not be shy!