addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Birmingham Board Games Meetup Group Message Board General Discussion › Assistance with a board gaming story for Birmingham Magazine

Assistance with a board gaming story for Birmingham Magazine

A former member
Post #: 75
Hey guys! I've been on this Meetup for almost a year, but haven't had a chance to go to a Meetup yet. I definitely want to try to come to Mad Doctor on the 26th to try some games I haven't played yet.

My main goal is to try games for a story I'm working on for the Products section of the May Birmingham Magazine. (I need to confirm it's May and not June) I am talking to game stores in the area about if they have demo copies that can be photographed at the Birmingham News office downtown the first week of April. They like the products page to use a variety of stores, but so far I have only had a chance to talk to MD and CJ's Games.

I am going to use a couple of the games we own to photograph, and Robert with MD said he'd be happy to help as well. I'm going to narrow down my list of games probably at this next game night.

If I can't find the ones I need at stores, would any players be willing to let me borrow their games to be photographed? I know that is asking a lot, and I'm willing to put down some sort of collateral, like a game of my own haha. It would only be borrowed for a couple of hours, and I will be at the shoot the entire time to make sure nothing happens to them.

What do you guys think? I'm going to make my final decision on the list next week, but it will be popular "gateway" games like Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Great Dalmuti and about 5-6 others.

Thanks for your help!!
http://williesha.cont...­
Victor
vditoro
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 16
I'm 100% confident any of our fine local game stores will get you exactly what you need, and would probably be happy for the mention in the article.

If, however, you run into any dead ends you can send me a message and I will let you photograph any of my stuff wherever. I'm sure I have a copy of anything you'd want to include.
Victor
vditoro
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 17
Oh, and do please keep us posted on the article :)
A former member
Post #: 76
Ah, epic game collector? Thank you so much! I will definitely do both.
A former member
Post #: 77
I finalized my list! Looks like I need

-- Dixit
-- Ticket to Ride
-- Great Dalmuti
-- Citadels

It would be great to borrow players' copies so that I didn't have to take away a store stash, but that would be fine too!
A former member
Post #: 78
Woot! Victor has been gracious enough to let me borrow Ticket to Ride, and I'm getting Dixit from Mad Doctor. If you have Great Dalmuti, Citadels or the video game Dance Central 3, please message me! The photo shoot is tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again!
William B.
user 9205187
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 191
This is the link to an online posting of the above:
http://www.al.com/bha...­

I have not seen a magazine yet. I don't know if the magazine is still available or not. I believe this is in the May Issue of the magazine.

Here is another link to an article about BAG (Birmingham Area Gamers), an older name we called ourselves, from 2011:
http://blog.al.com/in...­

Game On,
William
A former member
Post #: 79
Thanks for posting! I'm sorry I didn't do this earlier. It is the May edition and you can get a copy at the Birmingham News office.You can see a spread of what it looks like in the magazine at my portfolio.

Williesha's portfolio.