addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vegans of the NC Triad Message Board › Beer talk

Beer talk

A former member
Post #: 5
I was distraught to find out that Guinness was not vegan because I thought I had checked this before (since there are few beers I drink, it's not hard for me to do.) The answer is, it is and it isn't.
The ones brewed in the U.K. are filtered through isinglass but the Extra Stout is made in North America and is vegan friendly. Also, it seems like it is mostly the U.K. beers that use this process and it is not used in Germany due to their standards for making beer. If anyone finds anything different, please let us know.

http://tastebetter.co...­
A former member
Post #: 57
Oh, wow, Diana, I'm sorry I missed your post!

It's possible that Guinness is using seperate techniques in refining its beer, based on location, but just doing a cursory search I wasn't able to find anything to back that up. I did take a look at the list you linked to and it appears that even the Taste Better may have changed its listing in the recent past because it now reads: "I don't think they even know what goes in their beer".

Which really made m chuckle because the funny thing is that every few years or so someone will pop up and insist that they've been told by an official so-and-so with Guiness that Guiness has changed their techniques and no longer uses isinglass in their product. In fact, one member of Vegan Represent was told by 4 seperate individuals at the main brewery in Ireland that Guiness had switched to a centrifugal technique and no longer used the fish bladder. When someone else called the company to double-check, the company sent her an official statement claiming that, yes, they still use isinglass as a fining agent in their beer.

Now the thing is, I know that I'm the one who blurted out that "Guinness isn't vegan" at lunch the other day, but in all honesty I wish I'd phrased that better. I personally tend to put beer in the same nebulous category as refined sugars, that funky four letter acronym they put in bread, and municipally treated water, all of which contain very, very minute amounts of secondary animal ingredients. I think whether or not you choose to consume any of these is entirely a matter of personal discretion.

But you're absolutely right about Germany's beer standards -- because of their Reinheitsgebot, or Beer Purity Law, set forth in 1516, ALL German beers are automatically vegan. Which is pretty cool.

And thanks so much for the link to the beer list, it looks *exhaustive*. The last one I looked at didn't even list Corona!
A former member
Post #: 6
Thanks for looking into it more. It is always better to be informed. I guess I'll stick to the German beers... they're pretty tasty too.
A former member
Post #: 58
And while it may be spendy, there's always the lovely delectable line of Sammy Smith beers -- they have a stout, don't they? :ponders: