What we’re about
****Apologies, but this group is currently full****
A book group for some serious and not so serious discussion about crime fiction. If you give up at page 7, we won't mind, honest, although maybe there should be a forfeit system involving cake, coffee, beer, chocolate?
Meeting dates are always the last Saturday of the month, during the early afternoon.
If you apply to join and don't get approved, please send a message to chase this up - the organiser is sometimes a bit slow ;o)
Upcoming events (3)See all
- Christmas Meal #2 - Create CafeCreate Cafe, Wakefield
Please let me know by the end of the week if you can come. I'll be sending Create our menu choices shortly after, so please send me those as well. Here's the details:
Main course £9, Two courses £13, Three courses £17
- Roasted tomato soup, bread (V) (GF available)
- Brie and cranberry tartlet, rocket leaves, house dressing (V)
- Ham hock terrine, home-made piccalilli, toasted ciabatta rocket leaves (GF available)
(All served with a selection of seasonal veg)
**Add a large pig in a blanket for £2!!**
- Turkey and stuffing roulade, roasted new potatoes, cranberry compote
- Slow roasted pork belly, crackling, apple sauce, roasted new potatoes (GF)
- Nut roast stuffed butternut squash, roasted new potatoes (Vegan) (GF)
- Triple chocolate brownie, chocolate sauce, Chantilly cream (GF) (V)
- Sticky toffee pudding, toffee sauce, Chantilly cream (V)
- Winter berry Eton mess (V) (GF)
No room for a dessert? Go for a mince pie with tea or coffee as your dessert if you wish!
Hope you can come!
- Christmas Meal - save the date!Iris Restaurant, Wakefield£1.70
*****Confirmed: Iris restaurant in the centre of Wakefield - menu and prices are available at their website here including a separate vegan menu*******
Booking is confirmed. If you're coming I'll need a £10 deposit from you, ideally by the end of the week (20th Oct) as I need to pay them - please message me to arrange this. We've got a table for up to 14 people.
Could you also let me know your menu choices - I'll send a message out soon to request these, but if you'd like to get ahead of the game, have a look here: https://www.iris-restaurant.com/christmas-2023 - please select from the Christmas Set Menu or Vegan Menu and drop me a message with your choices.
If you can't attend, we'll probably be arranging a Christmas lunch #2 at Create Cafe (date tbc), but that will be a weekday lunchtime. I'll try and sort that out ASAP.
Hope you can come!
- January's book: The Death of Mrs Westaway by Ruth WareJoys Coffee House, Wakefield, Wakefield£1.70
*****Meet up will be at Joy's Coffee House in The Ridings (nearest Ridings entrance is the one close to Waterstones on Kirkgate)*******
This is supposed to be a tad gothic [eek!] so before you settle down, just make sure all the doors are locked and you've got some garlic and cocktail sticks (handy for fending off mini-vampires...)
'[An] explosive claustrophobic family drama laced with a touch of du Maurier.' WOMAN & HOME
When Harriet Westaway receives an unexpected letter telling her she’s inherited a substantial bequest from her Cornish grandmother, it seems like the answer to her prayers. She owes money to a loan shark and the threats are getting increasingly aggressive: she needs to get her hands on some cash fast.
There's just one problem - Hal's real grandparents died more than twenty years ago. The letter has been sent to the wrong person. But Hal knows that the cold-reading techniques she’s honed as a seaside fortune teller could help her con her way to getting the money. If anyone has the skills to turn up at a stranger's funeral and claim a bequest they’re not entitled to, it’s her.
Hal makes a choice that will change her life for ever. But once she embarks on her deception, there is no going back. She must keep going or risk losing everything, even her life…
See you at the meet up! :-)