addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Atlanta WordPress Users Group Message Board Atlanta Web Design with WordPress Users Group Discussion Forum › Wordpress & Thesis duke it out over GPL

Wordpress & Thesis duke it out over GPL

Jack K.
javajoba
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 14

See the podcast
http://mixergy.com/ch...­

Where do you stand on this issue?

Frank N.
Frank_Niemeir
Woodstock, GA
Post #: 2
Thanks for posting this Jack. Great interview and everyone should listen through the whole way. The entire interview is transcribed further down the page, and all of the comments are enlightening.
aj m.
AtlantaSEO
Cumming, GA
Post #: 10

See the podcast
http://mixergy.com/ch...­

Where do you stand on this issue?

At the risk of being an outcast I am a strong supporter of the Thesis product for several reasons.

1. I am a developer and have tested dozens of themes - free and premium and I selected Thesis for its flexibility - I have my own personal "bake off" and Thesis won - hands down - running away mostly due to this functionality (http://www.thesishack...­)

2. Chris Pearson is the guy who designed Thesis. He created it out of the frustration of using wordpress to create lots of web sites for clients - it is a great solution for web designers that need to make wordpress do things it really can't do with the standard theme. To me it is a developer's theme not one for just a personal blog or something simple that needs little customization.

3. While I think Chris comes off as "an arrogant jerk" I recall being 20 something and having a similar attitude. It think it is rare that someone that age, who has achieved such fast financial success (30,000 sales x $100 = $3,000,000 in sales) and notoriety, would not feel some level of arrogance. I think I would have been pretty happy with myself if it were me.

4. WP is horrible without themes.
Be honest would you have used Wordpress if you could only use Kubrick and nothing else? WP clearly is not good at themes or there would be no need for a theme market. So you could argue that theme developers and designers have made WP the success it is not the other way around. Of course Themes need WP to run I get that. Really I do.

5. This is likely partially about money (see #3 above).
If Thesis was a free theme I doubt this would be on anyone's radar.
Perhaps Thesis and ALL Premium theme owners should form an organization and pledge to donate x% of each sale to WP organization.

6. This is likely also about ego.
Look at http://ma.tt/about/...­ enough said. Looks like he left off a spelling bee award or 2 but little else.

Pearson rarely comments on his OWN support forum leaving Girlie and Godhammer to deal to with most of the problems. For example Girlie had to post about the code hack not Pearson. He is a bit of a Wizard of Oz character behind the curtain rather than out in front like Gardner or Tadlock. I find this annoying.

7. Georgia Tech - Atlanta connection - Since Pearson is a fellow GT alumni that increases my affinity towards him. We Techies tend to stick together. Plus his mindset is kinda typical of most Tech guys which makes him somewhat abrasive. For me I expect this and don't really care that he is. I am used to it.

I think is worth mentioning and perhaps understanding about Chris.
Note: THIS IS MERELY MY SPECULATION AND BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE.

At GT you learn on day 1 of orientation there is only room for 50% of you in the sophomore class and even less in the Junior class. So think about this. Your are 17 or 18 years old and you have been working most of your life to get in to college. Now to graduate you must quickly adopt an achieve and survive mentality since it is now clear that others must fail while you succeed if you are to reach the goal of reaching your sophomore year and then hopefully one day graduating.

Since you are graded on a curve another's success is your possible demise.

So this cuts down on cheating and test sharing etc with others that are in the same class (note: people that have already taken the class are more than willing to help since they have moved past this particular obstacle). Aside from the obvious risk of punishment if caught cheating tt is against your best interest and you will not want others to have a free ride on your hard work and in doing so possibly cause you to fail as they succeed on your efforts. So at this particular school ( an I am sure many others) there is an emphasis on doing your own work and putting in your own time and then reaping your own reward - anything else is academic suicide or just plain stupidity.

Now this is completely opposite of the communal "lets all share and share alike" mentality that many others in the WP world want. Work on that code solution for 5 years and then give me all your work for free and then I will do what I want with it. That is a tough pill to swallow. Pearson is fresh from that environment and I think is likely a VERY competitive person. So don't expect him to give away his intellectual work - I don't think it is in his DNA and I know it is directly opposed to his academic training.

8. Give it away Give it away Give it Away, now.
I have used plenty of free widgets. Lots of them. Tons. I liked them and then guess what happened?
WP upgraded, the widget developer had lost interest and was angry since nobody donated to him and the widget was DOA. So the value of that free widget had a very short shelf life.

So while the argument that GPL causes people to never contribute without a financial reward is obviously not true - the lack of financial reward does clearly create a disincentive to CONSISTENTLY CONTINUE to contribute over time. I think this is why GPL allows you to take the quitter's widget and consume it into your widget so at least someone will keep it alive. So as long as you have a constant churn of fresh faced people that want to become famous from GPL contributions - they will eventually tire out and fade away - but only to be replaced by the next wave. Many of these contributors are not supporting themselves much less a family so money is not important. Yet.

For me it is appears that a mob rules approach is attempting to be used to force the wild stallion Pearson into the corral. Forget it.

All you can do is try him in the court of public opinion, hang a scarlet T on him and all his "followers" and hope the community shuns them. Also hope that you create enough FUD (fear doubt uncertainty) so the novice business community becomes afraid to use Thesis. If that happens then the Thesis developers (like me) will move on to customizing and training and supporting users on other themes and Thesis theme as a brand will be less and less important.

Will this happen? Don't know.

Is WP overstepping their boundaries? Not my call.

Are they handing it professionally and maturely? I don't think so. I think the overall youth and lack of business experience is showing - on all sides.

Should Pearson remove any blatant WP code in his theme now that is widely known that his code contains WP core code? Yes absolutely and it is my belief that he will. Why wouldn't he since he thinks his code is superior to WP's code anyway.

Thanks for reading!

AJ Martin

aj m.
AtlantaSEO
Cumming, GA
Post #: 11
Found this interview with Chris Pearson - might wish to view this one if you are still on the fence

http://atlantawebmast...­

Jack K.
javajoba
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 15
Thanks for the great replies. Did not know Chris went to GaT.

Not sure the issue has been decided yet.