Hi all and happy July! We are planning a WordPress Pasadena Developer Meetup for July 18, 2017, 7pm @ Cross Campus in Old Towne Pasadena.
We also decided to change the title of this sub-group to WordPress Pasadena Developer Meetup in order to focus more on developer-oriented topics. We're still experimenting with the exact format and would love to hear your feedback in this next meeting!
This meetup is for a discussion of topics pertaining to WordPress development. See our guidelines below.
• Map (https://digisavvycdn.s3.amazonaws.com/Cross_Campus_Old_Pasadena_-_Google_Maps_2017-04-03_22-09-24.png)
• Streetview (https://digisavvycdn.s3.amazonaws.com/76_N_Raymond_Ave_-_Google_Maps_2017-04-03_22-12-55.png)
< What's it about? >
We're definitely talking about WordPress, But we'll be discussing developer-specific topics. If you would like to attend, we strongly encourage you to enrich the discussion by briefly sharing on a topic of your choice surrounding WordPress development. Discussion on your topic should last anywhere from 5-10 minutes and can include sharing your screen although sharing your screen is not a requirement.
< A little about CrossCampus >
CrossCampus is one of the very first co-working spaces that landed in Pasadena. They have great tight-knit community and ample office space to spread out and get work done. I love it here, definitely inquire about a membership. Totes worth it!
< Who's it for? >
Our meetup is inclusive first and foremost. HOWEVER, it is not for everybody and it's not intended to be. Both experienced and new-coming developers are encouraged to share their expertise and experiences in the form of code demos.
What if I'm a beginner? Please attend, you're welcome here! We do expect you to follow and respect our rules below.
* If you want an interactive guide, see the Advanced WordPress Contribution Wizard. (Link (http://www.advancedwp.org/awp-contribution-wizard/))
The Developer Meetup is an inclusive group. BUT this meetup is NOT for everybody and it's not supposed to be. We will abide by the following rules:
• If you have a question, please research it before you bring it to the meetup. Google it, check it on Stack Exchange, do YOUR homework. This isn't a general tech support group. There are great places for that sort of stuff, this group isn't one of them.
• DO NOT sell your products or services to the group. It's not welcome. There are other meetups for just that sort of thing. This is not one of them.
• EVERYONE WILL PRESENT A TOPIC—as time permits, of course (be concise). We do expect everyone to participate if you show up.
• Acceptable topics to present on—
Any type of web/WordPress development tool you're working with or having problems with. If sharing a problem, share what you've done to troubleshoot please. Sharing your code is encouraged.
• A walk-thru of a theme or plugin you have personal experience with using. Share your experiences with us; the good, the bad, and the ewwww.
• A problem or bug you're dealing with. Again, share what you've done.
• Well-researched questions about general WordPress usage and strategy. I will ask you what you've done in your research thus far. If you haven't researched it, your question will be skipped.
Reference: Advanced WordPress Contribution Wizard (http://www.advancedwp.org/awp-contribution-wizard/)
< / RULES >
What makes for a good topic in this Meetup? I don't know. Ten different people will have ten different answers. We're not into policing what is and isn't strictly appropriate; however, if it involves code on the screen or larger discussion about DevOps or front-end solutions, it will almost certainly be a win!
Also, let's have fun!