addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Orlando Writers Meetup Group Message Board › Story Starter 9.27.2007

Story Starter 9.27.2007

A former member
Post #: 10
Good morning, fellow masters of pen,

I also posted this in the files section. Does anybody know why the punctuation marks get all goofed up in this message board?

I wanted to share an activity that we began last night and invite anybody and everybody to join in. We have started a story taking 8 random bits of information and expounding on them. Here?s how the process went:

I handed out 8 slips of paper each with a word written on it: object (3), place name, name (any), name (girl), name (boy), and problem. Each of us took our word and wrote whatever came to mind be it word, phrase, or paragraph. Here?s what we came up with:

1. A problem comes in the unsurity of content (problem)
2. John (name-boy)
3. Snookums (name-any)
4. Hot plate (object)
5. Lush, green tree (object)
6. What?s in a name? Even more so, what?s in a place?s name? A history, a way of thinking and a group of people that made it so. Behind every place name, there is a group of people and their story. (place name)
7. ?What?s the girl?s name?? the doctor asked. (name-girl)
8. ?I object!? cried the lawyer for the fifth time. ?You? observed the judge, ?Are so objectionable.? (object)

Next, we took our ideas and made an outline from them:

A homeless lawyer named John is living in lush green trees and using a solar hotplate. He has a pregnant homeless friend named Snookums. She gives birth and the doctor asks, ?What?s the baby girl?s name?? ?What?s in a name..?? Snookums replies. We find out the judge could be the father and Snookums is waiting for the judge to help with the name. The lawyer objected in court out of rage over the judge?s involvement with the baby. The court reporter Annie is taking notes unbeknownst to the judge. Blackmail?

Ok, the task at hand here is to take this story starter outline and put your own spin on it in 1,000 words or less. You may go in any direction you wish, keeping the main ?plot points? intact. This will be ?due? for the November meeting, as the October meeting is going to have a different format.

Have fun!
Barb