addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

xDKC Message Board › Getting Stuff Done

Getting Stuff Done

Art S.
user 41013462
Overland Park, KS
Post #: 8
I went to the Native vs. HTML meeting primarily because I'm and Adobe junkie, it was an Adobe sponsored Meetup, and I had no idea what UI/UX meant. Now I know, and I found the discussion interesting but somewhat amusing because much of the discussion revolved around how to sell your ideas, either to the client or within a corporate structure.

Amusing because I spent most of my working life as an engineer in large corporations and found that the most effective engineers were those that could "sell" their ideas and proposals, not necessarily the best at engineering. Looks like the same is true of those who work with UI/UX. At some level, people skills rule whatever your endeavor.

While I found it interesting, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to recognize "selling the concept" as a separate issue from other topics and either concentrate on such or consciously set it aside in future discussions so as to keep to the topic. Obviously, "selling the concept" is something that could be discussed as central to almost any topic but might be best handled separately.

Art
A former member
Post #: 1
Thanks, Art - you make several astute points and I agree that, very often, solid communicating for the vision of a project's direction makes a huge difference to help folks understand direction and bringing all parties along the way.

As you pointed out, hitting upon this critical theme in the context of our Native vs. HTML 5 app group dialogue helped surface a complimentary avenue of discussion that we can explore further in one of our future events. It's also worth mentioning that - since we had such a varied mix of professionals, backgrounds, and experiences - we were able to encourage a quality and welcome space for reviewing not only the main topic but also a number of related sub-topics.

Going forward, Midwest UX/UI - our local IxDa chapter - will continue to host these guided discussions and expand to also feature new speakers, panel discussions, awards events, and more. Invite your friends to come! Cheers, Brian