Join us for the DevOpsDC Meetup Group!
• 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet, greet, and eat
• 7:00 - 7:15 - Introductions and Announcements
• 7:15 - 8:45 - Presentations, discussions, etc.
• DevOps: What's Missing ? Analytics! - Betsy Nichols, Chief Data Scientist, Netuitive - John Willis and others have proposed a taxonomy to identify certain patterns that characterize DevOps: Culture, Automation, Measurement, and Sharing, aka CAMS. Gene Kim has identified three “ways” that define DevOps: Flow, Feedback, and Learning.
Something important is missing from these models: Real-time analytics. Analytics are an essential part of Measurement in CAMS, as well as a foundation for the Feedback and Learning "ways". Real-time analytics for making timely decisions are challenging, but not impossible. How do you crunch one million metrics, and generate that one alarm that matters, when it matters, and with no noise around it? This talk will share some of our discoveries and insights about this critical yet under-served DevOps component.
• Surviving a DDOS Attack: Lessons We Learned the Hard Way - Jake Vaderdray - CustomInk - Last year one of our sales reps got a chat request suggesting we email a certain address to get our site back online. Immediately after that, www.customink.com got taken down by a distributed denial of service attack. While we had a plan for a DDOS attack and were paying for protection, none of that really helped. We ended up taking advantage of an unused internet connection and making drastic infrastructure changes quickly to get back online. This talk will lay out the pitfalls we fell into and how to avoid them.
• 8:45 - 9:15 - Networking, conversation, planning for next month.
Do you have a topic that you'd like to present or one that you like to see covered? Please contact the organizers and let us know! This is a great venue for lightning talks, first time presenters, and deep technical dives. We all want to hear from you.