Announcing a new Meetup for The New York Corporate Social Responsibility Meetup Group!
What: Brooklyn Bridge March for International Day of Climate Action 350
When: October 24,[masked]:00 PM
New York City, NY
JOIN THIS SATURDAY at NOON!
www.350.org and Greenpeace are teaming to march across Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn, take an amazing group photo with the NYC skyline in the background.
CSR NY, let's go! Join help make the powerful statement that New Yorkers want strong climate action.
The March will meet and start at the Manhattan entrance to the Brooklyn Bridge.
Where 350 and Greenpeace are meeting:
There is an open plaza area across from this entrance to the bridge - between the City Hall (4,5,6) and the Chambers St. - Brooklyn Bridge (J,M,Z) stations.
350 will be in bright red stop global warming shirts, which you will get upon arriving to the event.
Optionally, you can join the group which will head to TIME SQUARE AFTERWARDS, to join 350's press conference!
"The 350.org team has just secured permission to display the 350 photos from around the world on the MASSIVE screens in the heart of New York City, with global media standing by to broadcast the story worldwide! That means that your photo can appear 30 feet tall for the world to see. We?ve always said that we want to inject this number deep into the information consciousness of the planet, and Times Square is about as close to the the mainstream as you can get."
The photos from the big day will all have the number 350 depicted in them somehow, and will act as a huge visual petition that we?ll send to world leaders. ON THE MONDAY AFTER October 24th, the 350.org crew will be visiting UN HEADQUARTERS to HAND-DELIVER THE PHOTOS TO DELEGATES AND DIPLOMATS the world over."
This is a rain or shine event, BE ON TIME!
If you want to join and want to join with other CSR NY members at Brooklyn Bridge or Time Square afterwards, post a message on the meetup discussion board and will get a message back to you with my cell nr contact info. http://www.350.org/node/4819http://members.greenpeace.org/event/view/3482
350.org?s International Day of Climate Action on Saturday, October 24, a series of rallies and awareness-raising creative actions across the globe which will serve as a visual petition for change to be presented in Copenhagen this December, when the world's nations meet to agree on a new climate treaty.
When atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide were above 350 ppm, they said, global warming would be dangerously out of control.
We're already past it, at 390 ppm and rising two ppm annually--that's why the Arctic is melting.
WHY did Pai decided to organize this for CSR NY?
- I saw Bill McKibben speak earlier this evening at the New School Tishman Environment and Design Center.
Bill McKibben is an author, environmentalist, and activist. In 1988, he wrote The End of Nature, the first book for a common audience about global warming. He is the co-founder of 350.org.
- Pai is a long-time environmentalist.
What did Bill say...
- Was the reason that the NYC congestion pricing fee did not get approved although it was very close? What he heard from talking to people in Albany is that at the last hour, parking garages in NYC came together and blocked it (using money?).
- Was the reason we have gone on the wrong path in terms development especially in the USA (different than Europe for example)? THE PRICE OF ENERGY HAS BEEN TOO CHEAP!
- about why we should not blame the government for not being more pro-environmental in action? The government does what we say in many cases and if what we have said or done is not strong enough to make the politicians listen, it is on us! This is why he decided to start this major, visible environmental movement, with its BIG DAY THIS SATURDAY, 2 months before the big Copenhagen international climate negotiation!
Bill's recent editorial for the Boston Globe:http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/10/23/mr_obama_be_tough_on_climate_change
THANK YOU and SEE YOU SATURDAY!
Learn more here:http://www.meetup.com/The-New-York-Corporate-Social-Responsibility-Meetup-Group/calendar/11692204/