Wip Comics – Originally known as Graphic Novels and Comics, Critique and Collaboration Meetup was established by Michal Ingram in July 2011 who came up with the idea of bringing comic creators together for the purpose of collaborating and giving each other feedback.
The intention for this group is for those attending to do any of the following:
- discuss an idea for a Graphic Novel/Comic story, whether from an artist or a writer's perspective (or if you are doing both). The overall aim is for you to be able to get help, and not feel like you are on your own (which is what stops you making any progress).
- if you want, to provide sketches to show the general style. Others can critique this, give an initial reaction, and recommend changes.
- get into pairs or small groups and work together, either during the Meetup or longterm.
- talk about illustrators/writers that are influential/points of reference, and see what we can learn from work they have done.
- writers can post links to blogs with outlines of ideas they might have, so that the illustrators can have a look and see what appeals as a possible project.
- talk about 'methods', i.e. is it best to draw panels and stick them onto a larger page? Or is it better to sketch out an entire page in one go? Can scanning and Photoshop help?
The focus is for those attending to outline something that they plan to have done, ready for feedback by the next MeetUp (for example "to have a 2-page A3 design sketched out"). This gives you, and the Meetup, a bit of structure, and helps projects move forward. This is one of the central aims of this group. Hopefully see you there!
WIP Comics workshops: In May 2012 we started running free workshops run by talented members of the wide London based comic book community .The aim of the workshops is to help artists and writers with improving their skills in order to achieve their set target.
The name WIP Comics stands for Work in Progress Comics.