Let's hike across the Potomac River to Georgetown and back!
From the Rosslyn Metro Station (Moore St side) we'll walk north along Moore St, cut over east a block to Lynn St, and continue north to cross the Potomac on the east sidewalk of Key Bridge and enter Francis Scott Key Memorial Park. From the park we’ll cross M Street and walk nine blocks north along 34th St NW to R Street NW, turn right, and walk a block and a half to Dumbarton Oaks Museum for a short break.
After the break we’ll continue east along R Street NW to 30th St NW, where after a peek at Oak Hill Cemetery Chapel, we’ll walk south along 30th St NW back to M Street, where we’ll turn right and walk a half-block west to visit the Old Stone House. From there we’ll head south on Thomas Jefferson St NW to the Potomac, turn left, and follow the shoreline downstream to the Kennedy Center, where take a pit stop and ascend to the roof to enjoy the view.
Leaving the Kennedy Center we’ll continue downstream along the shoreline and recross the Potomac to Virginia along Memorial Ave, across the Arlington Memorial Bridge. After passing the Arlington Cemetery Metro, we’ll continue another 1.2 miles past the Netherlands Carillon, the Marine Corps War Memorial, and Dark Star Park before arriving back at our starting point at Rosslyn Station.
The hike is about 6.5 miles of smiles, moderate difficulty, and should take a little over 2 hours, plus time for a couple of pit stops along the way. The route is paved, with hills and steps here and there.
Google map: http://tinyurl.com/mm75wku
Print map (pdf): http://tinyurl.com/nsojwa2
How to get there: Rosslyn Metro Station is on the Blue and Orange Metro lines at 1850 N. Moore Street, Arlington, VA.
What to bring: Water, comfy shoes, and your furry friend if desired. (Leashes required. Sorry, service animals only on the Metro and most indoor locations.) Sunscreen is recommended. As a reminder, this is a kids-free zone, no one under 18 years of age is permitted.
Administrative stuff: Drinking fountains and restrooms are located at Dumbarton Oaks Museum, the Kennedy Center, in between the Netherlands Carillon and the US Marine Corps War Memorial (porta-johns), and the occasional commercial establishments along the way.
• Francis Scott Key Memorial Park: http://tinyurl.com/ksm2gg2
• Dumbarton Oaks Museum: http://www.doaks.org/museum
• Oak Hill Cemetery Chapel: http://tinyurl.com/lk49bfq
• The Old Stone House: http://tinyurl.com/k73lxda
• C&O Canal National Historical Park: http://tinyurl.com/o8bpkrn
• The Kennedy Center: http://tinyurl.com/cyvagx
• The Arts of War and Peace: http://tinyurl.com/k3l68lr
• Netherlands Carillon: http://tinyurl.com/n3go2dp.
• US Marine Corps War Memorial: http://tinyurl.com/o9gt6z4
• Dark Star Park: http://tinyurl.com/kbvro5k
• Panera Bread, 1700 North Moore St, Arlington, VA, (703)[masked]
• Ray's to the Third, 1650 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA,(703)[masked]
• Roti Mediterranean, 1501 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA (571)[masked]
• Piola, 1550 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA (703)[masked]