What we're about
Upcoming events (1)
Let's go for a Spring walk along Four Mile Run and Lubber Run and visit Bluemont Junction Park and the Bon Air Park and Rose Garden!
• What we'll do: This is a two-part walk: a 3.8-mile walk along Four Mile Run, Lubber Run, and Bluemont Junction trails, followed by a 1.2-mile walk along the W&OD Trail to the Bon Air Rose Garden and back.
- From the parking lot we'll head south/downstream on Four Mile Run and W&OD Trails to Glencarlyn Park. Then we'll head northeast along Park Drive to cross Arlington Blvd, jag west a block and a half and continue north through Lubber Run Park. Just before George Mason Drive we'll turn left on a trail leading to 4th St N and walk northwest along Edison Dr to the Bluemont Junction Trail, which we’ll follow back to our start point.
- After a short break we'll head north on the W&OD Trail, crossing under Wilson Boulevard, and walk upstream on the west bank of Four Mile Run to the Custis Trail. Turning right, we'll follow the Custis Trail east only a short distance before turning south to walk back downstream along the east bank of Four Mile Run past the azaleas in Bon Air Park to Bon Air Rose Garden. The organized walk ends at the Bon Air Rose Garden; members can linger there for photo opportunities as desired, and recross Wilson Blvd at the crosswalk to our start point at Bluemont Park, which is in sight of Bon Air Rose Garden immediately to the south.
- The total walk is about 5 miles of smiles and should take around two hours at a moderate pace, plus whatever time we spend taking photos in Bon Air Park and Rose Garden. The route is mostly paved, with some significant changes in elevation here and there. Overall, this is an easy hike.
- Google map: http://tinyurl.com/hsfdqmu
• How to get there: The north parking lot of Bluemont Park always seems to be a challenge to find, and now it's shown as "Four Mile Trail Parking Area" on Google Maps. Whatever, it's about a mile east of Seven Corners on Wilson Blvd. To find it, use the street address 845 N Manchester St in Arlington or GPS[masked], [masked], and keep an eye out as you approach the park.
- Driving: From Seven Corners (the intersection of Arlington Blvd/Rte 50 and Lee Highway/Rte 7), take Wilson Blvd east for 1.2 miles to N Manchester Street and turn right. The entrance to the parking lot is immediately on your left, at 845 N Manchester St, Arlington, VA 22203. See https://goo.gl/maps/272iXsUqtnuCeUxN7
- Parking: In addition to the 70-odd spaces in the Four Mile Trail Parking Area, there are 80 spaces to the north across Wilson Blvd in the Bon Air Garden Parking Area (850 N Lexington St) and parallel parking along the west side of N Arlington Mill Dr. See the Google map.
- For Metro riders, the Wilson Blvd & Manchester Stop in front of the park is serviced by buses 1A and 1B. See the WMATA Trip Planner at: https://www.wmata.com/schedules/trip-planner/
• What to bring: Water, comfy shoes, and your furry friend if desired (leashes please). Sunscreen, insect repellent, and a light jacket may be handy. Bring a mask to go indoors. Fully vaccinated individuals no longer need to wear a mask when outdoors and gathered in small groups.
• Weather: The forecast is partly cloudy and a high of 71F. There's a very slight chance of showers at start time, falling off. Northwest winds at 6 mph. Updates here: https://tinyurl.com/y3jryrah
• Advisory: As a reminder, this is an adult group, and you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and well-being during events. No one under 18 years of age is allowed at this event, either as members or as guests, to include babies in carriers and/or strollers.
• Administrative stuff: Bluemont Park has public restrooms that are open. Along our way, Glencarlyn and Lubber Run Parks also have public restrooms, though I have not checked to see whether they are open.
- List of Coronavirus-Related Restrictions in Every State: https://tinyurl.com/f2j8pjvh