What we're about
Upcoming events (1)
Sunday should be a fine sunny day for another Towpath tromp.
❶ What we'll do:
- We'll hike about 5 miles from the Glen Echo Amusement Park to the C & O Canal Towpath and back. The hike is mostly on paved trails or on the Towpath. Apart from the descent into and especially the steep steps out of the Potomac River basin, it's fairly level and easy going.
- Google map: https://tinyurl.com/4h9am8ee
❷ How to get there:
- From the I-495 Capital Beltway (either direction), take exit 39 to merge onto MD-190 E/River Rd toward Washington. Follow MD-190 E/River Rd for 1.5 miles and turn right onto MD-188 W/ Wilson Ln. After following MD-188 W/ Wilson Ln for almost a mile, turn left onto Macarthur Blvd. Follow Macarthur Blvd for just under half a mile and turn right onto Oxford Rd. The parking area will be on your left, in front of the Clara Barton National Historic Site (temporarily closed). See https://goo.gl/maps/WfwewxJoJwqEWrnw8
- Sorry, this is not a Metro-accessible hike.
❸ What to bring: Water, comfy shoes and your furry friend if desired (short leashes, please).
❹ Weather: The forecast is for a high around 81F and sunny. Updates here: https://tinyurl.com/2xfsr9w6
- As a reminder, this is an adult group, and you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and well-being during events. No one under 18 years of age is allowed at this event, either as members or as guests, to include babies in carriers and/or strollers.
❻ Administrative stuff: Glen Echo Park has a top notch bathroom that people can use before or after the hike. There is one portable restroom along our route.
- Glen Echo Café, 7300 Macarthur Blvd, Bethesda, MD 20816
- Irish Inn At Glen Echo, 6119 Tulane Ave, Glen Echo, MD 20812
- 7-Eleven, 7305 Macarthur Blvd, Bethesda, MD 20816
- Glen Echo Exxon, 6729 Goldsboro Rd, Bethesda, MD 20817