|Sent on:||Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:20 PM|
SEATTLE: Sunday, April 22nd (Earth Day) - 2:00-4:00pm
EARTH DAY MINDFULNESS WALK
The vision of the walk is to create space for us to gather together to walk silently and mindfully as we bring our attention and compassion to the earth, in honor of our planet on Earth Day. With polar ice caps and glaciers melting rapidly, oceans acidifying, ecosystems failing, and species the world over on the brink of extinction, there is a crucial need for us all to bring our collective attention to the planet.
We see the walk as an opportunity to bring our collective attention and compassion, our prayers for healing, to the earth during this critical time. We envision the walk to be nourishing, an opportunity for personal reflection and community connection, as we walk mindfully together.
We will meet on Earth Day, April 22nd at 2pm, near the Olympic Sculpture Park visitor pavilion*, in the small terraced amphitheater north of the pavilion, facing the rusted iron Richard Serra "Wave" sculptures.
Our walk will wind single file through the sculpture park; then along Elliott Bay using the waterside path of Myrtle Edwards Park, stopping briefly at two small beaches for standing and sitting meditation.
Returning in twos, we will have a short closing circle, followed after 4pm by optional sharing of talk and of any healthy snacks brought by participants (carry some to share in your backpack if you wish!). A song "This Land" is being planned for 4:30pm. For wheelchair accessibility, contact Rick (below). Wear sturdy shoes.
The walk is meant to help deepen the relationship of any and all participants to their place in life on earth. No prior experience is required; and no religious views will be invoked other than those shared by all deep traditions: greater awareness, responsibility, interconnection, and love/compassion for self and other.
So if you can come:
Use the Facebook page (** below): We are specially asking everyone able to use Facebook, to enter a "Join" or "Maybe" on the Earth Day Mindfulness Walk page. That helps us estimate how many people to expect on the walk, and develops community beforehand.
Spread the word: Please do "share" this event with anyone you think might love to be there. Do that by email, or word of mouth, or Facebook and other internet postings.
Time, day-of: Please allow time for Sunday transit schedules, walking, biking, or finding Sunday parking and walking--to arrive and enjoy the Olympic Sculpture Garden before 2pm start. After start time, find our single file zig-zagging northward; or by twos as we return. Allow time for sharing after 4pm if you'd like that. See following email for a short This Land sing around 4:30 pm,
Thanks. We, hope to be with you there, then, for the Earth Day Mindfulness Walk.
More re the Land and Water:
* --Our 2pm gathering place as described above, is at the top center of this online map: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sculpturepark/ Here is also an interactive timeline history of the land we 'll be walking on, and more about the sculpture park:
--Info on the Duwamish, the landfill, the pollution, and the struggle to make and keep a Park (copied below): http://www.seattle.gov/parks/history/EdwardsPk.pdf
--Photos of Myrtle Edwards Park: :http://www.seattle.gov/parks/park_detail.asp?id=311 (Look for beauty, for fossil fuels, for ocean water level .)
HISTORY: PARK 11/6/76
When the Duwamish tribe inhabited the land between the Whulge (Puget Sound) and Hyas Chuck (LakeWashington),thehillsalongthispartofthebayslopedsteeplyintothewaters. The flat strip along the waterfront, from Yesler Way to Smith Cove is the result of fills.
Europeanexplorersrenamedmanygeographicfeatures. In1791CaptainVancouver Puget SoundtohonorLt.PeterPugetofhiscrew. TheWilkesExpeditionof1841honoredacrew member; Edward Meany claims it was the chaplian. Rev. J. L. Elliott, but in 1954 Howard Hanson found that MidshipmanSamuel Elliott was honored with the name for Elliott Bay. Lake Washington was in 1854 by Thomas Mercer,
The Denny Party landed at Alki Beach in November of 1851 to establish a permanent settle- ment. Theyhadscarcelyfinishedconstructionoffourcabinswhenapassingbrigstopped, looking for a cargo of timber piles which the settlers eagerly provided. But it was obvious that wateroffshorewas foraharbor. Sotheychangedthesiteofthesettle- menttotheshoreofElliottBay. In1853HenryYeslerarrivedand thecommercial developmentofthewaterfrontwiththeconstructionofasawmill. Atfirst,skidroads, wagons and boats were able to supply the demands of the vessels from San Francisco and other ports of call, but when coal was discovered in the 1860's a faster means of overland transportwasneeded-therailroad. Trackswerelaidfromthegrowingtowntothesouth endofLakeUnionandby1374wenttoRentonandtheminesofNewCastle. Atranscontinental railroad was authorized in 1864 and Seattle wanted to be the western terminus. But Tacoma waschosen. Thenfollowedalongperiodofbitterrivalry. FinallySeattlechosetobuild its own connection to a transcontinental rail system and the only route open was to the north,
In 1887 the West Coast Railroad Company was forme d and built a pile trestle along the water- front from Columbia Street north across the tide flats of Smith Cove, on to Ballard and thencealongtheshorelineofShilsholeBayandonnorth. In1890thenamewaschangedto theSeattleandMontanaR.R.andJamesHillbuiltarockfillpieratSmithCove. Thenthe Great Northern ended the 17-year rivalry by purchasingthe operation and Seattle the terminus of its transcontinental route via Stevens Pass.
The shoreline at the foot of the hills soon a wide thoroughfare of planked roadways and railroad tracks on piling but this intense development was never extended beyond Bay Street. An1894mapshowsapieratthefootofBayStreet,butFirstAvenuewasnotex- tendedtoDennyWayfromdowntownuntil1898. In1903theOlmstedBrothers,landscape architects of Brookline, Mass., &n bsp; note of "the boat house at the foot of Battery Street wherethere...arenowmooredmostoftheyachtsandsmallcraftofthecity." TheOlm- steds recommended the development and expansion of this facility - or at "another site, whichdoubtlesswouldbecheaper...atriangleoflandsouthfromJohnStreet" to(Bay Street)andincludinga bluff. The wasHarborViewPark. Theyen- visioned an extensive people and boat oriented park and, if the water was not too con- taminated, a sandy bathing beach.
In 1912 the voters approved the construction by the Port Commission of two new piers (#40- 41) at Smith Cove (besides James Hill's rock fill pier) and they were rated as "the largest commercialpiersintheworld". WhentradewiththeOrientwasdevelopedthey
the transfer point for the fragile silk cargos from ship to high speed silk trains racing across the continent to eastern mills.
In 1917 a seawall was completed between Washington and Madison Streets and the fill behind it fromtheregradestreetprojectsinthearea. Itwasnotuntil1936thattheseawall was extended to Bay Street, and Alaskan Way abruptly with a turn across the rail- roadtracks. However,afillhad placedalongtheshorein1920fromMadisonStreet to Smith Cove, completingthe filling of the tide flats of the Cove that was begun in 1916 aspartofthePier40-41 pr oject.
In 1948 the City Planning Commission, in cooperation with other official agencies, citizen groupsandthegeneralpublic,beganastudytoprovideageneralframework forthepublic and private growth requirements' of Seattle for the next 25 years from the date of the pub- licationofthisComprehensivePlanin1956. Specifically,thePlanidentifiedawaterfront
Park from Bay Street to Pier 88 (the new number for Hill's pier). The Plan also identified the extension of Alaskan Way as an expressway between the railroad and the proposed park strip. AccordingtotheP.I.(in1965) thepropertybetweenThomasandBayStreetswaspur- chased in 1944 at a King County public auct ion for $15,000 (mostly covered by tidewater)\ during the construction of the freeway through Seattle, the parent company of the property owners dumped during 1965 considerable excavated material on the site and thus became im- provedlandatanincreaseinvalue;thesouthhalfwasthensoldfor$181,000. Thenthe property was publicly offered to the Park Board who had no funds for its purchase and the news media became critical of the "official short-sightedness . . . if a great opportunity was
rejected". (TheCitydidnothavearevolvingpropertyfund;insteadpropertyacquisitionwas mandated by the voters through bond issues or by City Council appropriation.) City Council backed up the Park Board in refusing to accept the offer of $761,250 for the property, "an increaseofabout8000%overitsearlierest imatedvalue." (In1959CityEngineerRoyMorse endorsed acquisition of this waterfront to protect the marine view alongside the proposed expressway and proposed establishment of a land acquisitionfund - but to no avail. Times 1965.) The Times went on to agree that the price was too high but pointed out that the land was,in1944,availabletotheCityatsmallcost. TheCityCouncilauthorizedcondemnation proceedings. Bythetimeproceedingscametotrialin1968,theForwardThrustbondissue had been approved by voters; the park on Elliott Bay north of Bay Street was in the program.
Meanwhile the Port Authority had acquired the waterfront south from Pier 88 to Thomas Street with plans for a Grain Terminal; unloading from railroad cars, storage silos and ship docking andloadingfacilities. Anotherstormwasunleashed. Themarineviewwasseriously threaten- ed now by the construction of 68 silos and o ther structures, includingmammoth tankers berthed forloading. Despitecommunitywrath,fillingalongtheshorelinewascompletedandconstruc- tion proceeded.
Due to separate ownerships, the north half of the proposed Elliott Bay Park came to trial first and the jury award was for a value of $718,000, twice the City's estimate and offer. The Department's initial recommendation was to reject the award and drop the project and to concentrade on the Magnolia Tidelands acquisition project. Then it developed that total acquisition of tidelands was not necessary to retain open and public use. Also, the public ownership of the grain terminal presented a significantopportunity to develop the waterfront drive. Further,theavailabilityofFederal(HUD)andState(IAC)matchingfundsandwilling- nessoftheownerofthesouthhalfoftheprojecttonegotiate. ThepollutionofElliott Bay waters significantly d eclined following the installation of the Intercepter Sewer by Metroin1968(aregulatorstationwasbuiltonthesite). Asaresultofalltheseevalua- tions, the decision was made to accept the award and proceed.
But when City Hall asked the Port Authority to join the Parks Department in the development of a pedestrian/bike path along the waterfront from Bay Street to Prospect Street, the Autho- ritywasvigorouslyopposed;itwouldnotbeanincome-producingactivity. Butfourofthe five Port Commissioners were sympathetic to the park plan and after considerable controversy a limited plan of park-like development was approved.
In 1955 Mrs. F. F. Powell retired from City Council after 20 years service to take a world tourforMoralRearmament. AsherreplacementCouncilchoseMRS.MYRTLE EDWARDS,agraduate of the University of Illinois, a pianist and vocal soloist who gave up her career to marry Harlan,anengineer,in1918. In1941theEdwardsmovedtoSeattle,residinginLaurelhurst. Myrtle obtained a Bachelor degree in Political Science from the U.W. and became active in theLeagueofWomenVoters,becominglocalandthenstatepresident. HerappointmenttoCoun- cil was quickly endorsed by the voters. Mrs. Edwards succeeded Mrs. Powell as Chairwoman
of the Harbor and Public Grounds Committee of Council, later changed to Parks and Public Grounds. ShewasunanimouslyelectedPresidentofCityCouncilin1969.
"She was always at the forefront of campaigns and programs to preserve Seattle's natural beauty and to enhance it with new parks, plantingsand sculpture." One of he r projects was the acquisition of Gas Plant site on the north shore of Lake Union, which she began topro- mote soon after joining City Council. In 1962 the City entered a 10-year contract to purchase
the plant site for parkpurposes. But MyrtleEdwards did notsee the park become a reality for she died in 1969, the result of a tragic automobile accident in Idaho.
However,theparkonLakeUnionwasnamedinherhonorin1969. Butasitbecameevident that the park design would feature the "domineering" preservation of industrial (plant) sculpture, Myrtle Edwards' family requested that her name be withdrawn in 1972. (Harlan Edwards died in 1975) In 1976 her family approved the renaming of Elliott Bay Park as MYRTLEEDWARDSPARK. DuringhertenureontheCoun cilshefrequentlywasthelone dissenting or moderate voice, but many times her quiet persuasion won over her eight maleopponents. "Awoman...inpoliticalofficeshouldbejustaswellinformedas her male colleagues, maybe even more so." Said one of them: "Shewas always willing to hear new ideas and change hermind,"
Myrtle Edwards received many awards, including Matrix Table, National Business Women's award and Hadassah's Better World Citizen Award; she was an advocate of converting the Civic Auditoriumand ball field into a new Seattle Center through the establishment of the 1962 World's Fair on the site and proponent of the earlier Metro plan to rid Seattle waters of pollution. She was a prime mover in organizing Horizon (retirement) House.