VANCOUVER - NORTH & WEST SHORE
TAI CHI & CHINESE HEALTH Qi GONG
Please check out our calendar
for all dates available this month
3 convenient locations to choose from:
1) Highlands United Church Gymnasium, Edgemont
fees: www.meetup.com/northshoretaichi/files/ , range between $6.50 - $10.00/class
2) North Shore Neighbourhood House, Lower Lonsdale East; fees: range between $6.00-$12.00/class
3) John Braithwaite Community Centre, Lower Lonsdale West; fees: range between $6.00 - $12.00/class
Who are we?
The North Shore Tai Chi Spirit & Chinese Health Qigong is a group of people who are interested in learning and practicing tai chi and qigong.
The North Shore Tai Chi & Qigong Instructors specialize in teaching beginners the basics.
We have many groups of people whose experience ranges from
- brand new to tai chi & qigong
- beginners level 2 (those who have completed at least one beginner form) and
- intermediates (those who have completed at least one intermediate form plus at least one beginner form).
Special Summer location at John Lawson Park, by Ambleside in West Vancouver
At least once or twice a year, the North Shore Tai Chi Spirit hosts world renown Instructors, such as Grand Master Shou-Yu Liang, pictured above, to teach specialized workshops. These workshops attract a wide range of practitioners from a variety of martial arts backgrounds.
Our main interest is practicing tai chi to help us improve and/or maintain health. We hope you'll join us one day soon.
OPTIONS FOR BEGINNERS
Learn Tai Chi with a 6 - 12 WEEK INTRODUCTION
There are two options for beginners who have never tried tai chi before.
1) The first is to join a beginners class. Beginners sessions are usually 6 -12 weeks in length and usually start.
2) Join a Fast Track class to see if you will like tai chi.
** FAST TRACK is for students who want to try out tai chi over 3-4 easy sessions after which you can then choose to "graduate" into anyone of the Beginner Classes available.
3 LOCATIONS TO CHOOSE FROM:
1) Highlands United Church Gym at 3255 Edgemont Blvd, North Vancouver
2) North Shore Neighbourhood House at 225 East 2nd Street, North Vancouver
3) John Braithwaite Community Centre at 145 West 1st, North Vancouver
Tai Chi in the Gymnasium at Highlands United Church
Address: 3255 Edgemont Boulevard, in Edgemont Village, North Vancouver.
In the large Highlands Church Gymnasium.
Highlands is located at the north end of the beautiful Edgemont Village.
Two entrances to the Gym - Through the Lower Parking Lot Courtyard or in through the Highlands "Office" Door and down the stairs to the Gym.
Tai Chi at North Shore Neighbourhood House
Address: 225 East 2nd Street, North Vancouver (Lower Lonsdale – East)
Tai Chi & Qigong at John Braithwaite Community Centre
Address: 145 West 1st Street, North Vancouver (Lower Lonsdale – West).
STARTING DATES AND TIMES
please check out our Calendar on this site
If you are a beginner please email email@example.com to confirm your interest in attending one of our meetups or it you want to join mid-session.
Fall Sessions: September – December
Winter Sessions: January – March
Spring & Summer: April – June, plus July
No classes in August for Highlands, but North Shore Neighbourhood House and John Braithwaite Meetups continue to first week in August.
AT HIGHLANDS UNITED CHURCH GYM
Check out our calendar for all current on-going classes
Wednesday Time Options
4pm - Fast Track for Beginners
4:30pm - Beginners Form
5:15pm - Beginners and Intermediates Warm-up & Chinese Health Qigong
5:50pm - Intermediate Forms
Saturday Time Options
8:45am - Intermediate Forms
10am - New to Tai Chi Beginners Class (Fast Track) plus Beginners
11:15am - Fast Track Class for Beginners (dates for this time TBA)
FOR Brand New to Tai Chi STUDENTS, check out our calendar on these dates and times...
Option 1: 4pm-4:30pm
Option 2: 4:30pm-5:15pm
Option 3: 10am
Option 4: 11:15am
AT NORTH SHORE NEIGHBOURHOOD HOUSE
Both Tuesdays and Thursdays
Beginners should come at 9am
AT JOHN BRAITHWAITE COMMUNITY CENTRE
9am Wednesdays – Qigong only
9:30am Fridays – Qigong only
10:30am Wednesdays – Tai Chi only
At both Highlands, & the North Shore Neighbourhood House locations we combine Qigong into our Tai Chi Classes as part of our new curriculum. Additionally, we also teach Push-Hands, important to learning more about the mind-body connection and balance. At John Braitwaite you can learn Qigong Only. Check out our dates and times below.
If you are a beginner please email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask re starting dates if you want to join mid-session or check out our Calendar here on meetup.
MEETUP FEES FOR ALL GROUPS
* Fully registered student fees vary from location to location. From $6.00 - $8.50 per class. Prices for all classes coming soon.
* In general, drop-ins are range between $8.00 - $14.00. No drop-ins for Fast Track please.
Why join these Tai Chi or Qigong Groups?
First and foremost, the people you meet are wonderful. We call it "The Tai Chi Friendship."
You will build long lasting bonds and cherished connections while you learn an exercise regime that is very healthful. Then, here’s a whole host of other reasons why you will want to try out Tai Chi...
It will help you:
* Gain upper and lower body strength
* Increase flexibility & balance
* Re-build muscles weakened from illness or accident
* Lose Weight
* Increase flow of Qi
* Improve memory, elevate mood, peace of mind
* Scientifically proven to enhance your health.
Tai Chi & Qigong helps:
Chronic pain, cardiovascular disease, many types of arthritis, blood pressure, osteoporosis, headaches, depression, sleep disorders, diabetes, back problems, posture.
So come join us. Meet new friends who share your goals! Drop us an email or simply drop on by.
Please check out the ABOUT page to find out more details about each of the forms we teach or practice.
Drop-in and see if either one of these groups and style of teaching suits you.
All the North Shore Tai Chi Spirit and the North Vancouver - West Vancouver Tai Chi Players are very welcoming groups...
Not sure if learning Tai Chi (taijiquan) is for you? Check out our new FAQS and see if we have answered your questions. Go here:
HINTS FOR ATTENDING YOUR FIRST TAI CHI or Qigong MEETUP:
- Pick a day and time that works for you.
- If you are not pre-registering (some Meetups require it) then just Drop In.
- Come early so you can watch the Meetup if it is already in session.
- Feel free to come right in the gymnasium or room and have a seat. We welcome all visitors.
- What should you wear? Comfortable running shoes (no flip flops or sandles) and loose clothing, like sweat pants, a t-shirt or yoga-type pants.
- If you are wanting to attend Qigong, please arrive early and speak to the Instructor just before class starts. All Qigong classes are "follow-the-leader" type classes and do not require any memorization. Tai Chi does require a little extra brain-work, which is part of the reason why it is so good for the mind, body AND soul.
Don't hesitate to call 604-986-9276 and speak to one of the Instructors who can help you decide which Meetup will work best for you.
You might have some rehabilitation issues, illness-related concerns that you might want to share with us before your first Meetup. You can also email us: email@example.com
These Meetups are about sharing... sharing the love of Taiji & Qigong. We hope you'll join us soon. Don't forget to browse through the rest of this website. There is a ton of information if you are at all interested in tai chi. Enjoy!