addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

NH4K - Hale, Zealand, West Bond, Bond, and Bondcliff (EXTREME)

  • Jan 11, 2014 · 4:00 AM

Organizer: Michael Blair @ (978)[masked]


Read the entire description before you RSVP and answer all of the questions that are part of the RSVP process. Failure to answer them will result in your removal from this event.

If you underestimate the demands of this event; overestimate your experience, knowledge, skills or abilities; or come unprepared you put yourself or others at risk so consider this before you decide to participate.


What We're Doing

The plan is to climb five of the NH 4,000 Footers - Hale, Zealand, West Bond, Bond, and Bondcliff. This will be a long day (made longer in winter because Zealand Road is closed) with a lot of hiking and a lot of climbing. There may even be some trail The group will be limited to 10 particpants because we will enter the Wilderness Protection Area along the way.

Guests are not permitted

Dogs are not permitted.

Trip Summary

On this moderate pace (~2.0 MPH) traverse we will hike about 24 miles and climb about 6,600 feet. It should take an average hiker about 15 hours 30 minutes to complete this trip. This event is considered to be Extreme because of the pace, distance, and elevation gain. We could alter our plans because of fatigue, weather, and/or other conditions - there is no guarantee we will complete the entire event as described here.

We start as a group, hike as a group, and finish as a group. Our pace will be that of the slowest hiker. This trip isn't for you if you are faster than the group and don't want to stay with us, if you want to head off on your own, or if you are slower than the group and expect us to constantly wait for you.

I did my research using the Appalachian Mountain Club's "White Mountain Guide", a trail map, and the Internet. You need to become self-reliant by learning about the route and potential hazards since you are ultimately responsible for your own safety.

• Click for current trail conditions from

What to Bring

You will need snow shoes and some sort of traction (e.g. probably be fine with microspikes or hillsounds but mountaineering crampons would be good too). Since we will start and end in the dark you will need a headlamp and some extra batteries.I will update the this a few days before the hike when I know more about what we can expect to encounter out on the trails. Be sure to look at the gear information listed below - if you have any questions about what to wear and/or what to bring let me know.

• Click here for a list of items needed for a "winter" day hike.

Do not rely on others to have extra items to share with you at the meeting spot or on the trail. You should know how to use all of your equipment - test and adjust it prior to this trip.


Dangerous weather conditions will cancel this event - I will post an update and/or send an email to all confirmed participants.

• Click for current weather forecast.


We will meet at the Lincoln Woods Visitor Center which is located along Route 112 a few miles east of Lincoln, NH. Since this is where we will finish we will leave a few cars here and then drive to the start. According to Google Maps this meeting spot is 135 miles from Boston and it should take about 2 hours and 9 minutes to drive there.

• Click for customizable driving directions.

While carpooling is encouraged you are responsible for coordinating your own rides. Use the comments section below to communicate with others who may also be looking to share a ride. If you do share a ride be sure to share the expenses (gas and tolls).

Random Group of Hikers Disclaimer

As a condition of your voluntary participation in this activity you acknowledge and agree to the following: this activity involves inherent risks that can cause property damage, injury, illness, disability, and/or death to participants and/or others; you assume all risk associated with this activity; you are responsible for having the necessary knowledge, skills, abilities, clothing, and equipment to safely participate in this activity; you know and will follow the Hike Safe Responsibility Code; the organizer(s) of this activity are volunteers; and you release, hold harmless, and indemnify the organizer(s) and all members of this group from any and all claims for property damage, injury, illness, disability, and/or death - including those caused by negligence and/or other reasons.

Join or login to comment.

  • Michael B.

    Going to list a Franconia Ridge Traverse (clockwise up Lafayette over to Flume) for Sunday. Those who were a "Yes" here get first dibs on spots for this hike. Check the site in about 30 minutes.

    January 10, 2014

  • Michael B.

    The long range weather forecast for Saturday kind of stinks - rain likely with a high near 41. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Saturday Night it's rain that could be heavy at times. Low around 39. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Not the type of conditions you want to be hiking sunrise to sunset in. The forecast only looks marginally better for Sunday - 40 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Windy. I will check the weather again on Friday to see what we will do - if Sunday is a better day may switch to that. If it's going to be crappy both days will look at shorter hikes where it won't really matter if we get wet. :-)

    January 8, 2014

    • Joe C.

      [OLD_JEDI_MIND_TRICK] Correction... You want to hike the Wildcats on Sunday [/OLD_JEDI_MIND_TRICK]

      January 10, 2014

    • Michael B.

      Just did them young jedi. Going to go for an above treeline four-fer along the Franconia Ridge.

      January 10, 2014

  • Steve B.

    I like your ideas! I'd like to hike on Sunday too. I'd advise a hike without a lot of water crossing since 2+ inches of rain are forecast for the Whites and flood advisories may be raised tomorrow.

    January 9, 2014

  • Michael B.

    Not sure how a crappy weather can get worse but it did - 100% chance of freezing rain, heavy at times. Don't mind hiking in rain when they talk about about a tenth of an inch, but they are talking about a half to three-quarters of inch. That's a lot of water. Going to cancel this event on Saturday but I am NOT going to reschedule this same event for Sunday. I am going to try and get something on the Sunday calendar though.

    January 9, 2014

  • Steve B.

    I have two bedrooms to offer the first 3 or 4 people that want to stay overnight in Bartlett after the hike. There's a bathroom for these two rooms. One has a queen bed and the other has two adult twins. Might even throw in a late pasta supper!

    January 5, 2014

  • Rich

    We are doing this hike on the 10th, minus Hale as we are leaving from Zealand Hut. We will leave a trail for you in the snow!

    January 5, 2014

  • Jennifer E.

    I'm staying at a very inexpensive (17/night) hostel in Rumney, NH. Still about an hour from the trailhead but not much farther than the hostel in Conway. Beats leaving from Providence at 1am to get to the trailhead or paying a bunch of money to stay at a motel. If anyone else is interested it is D Acres organic farm and homestead. Seems like a cool place.

    January 2, 2014

    • Jeff

      What an awesome find!! Kudos!!! Will you have to feed the pigs before you leave in the morning? :-)

      January 2, 2014

  • Alison O

    I am affiliated with a North Conway ski house where hikers can stay for $25 after this event. I am on the waitlist but can provide info to anyone interested in the accommodations. They need reservations by the Wed prior to the hike.

    December 22, 2013

    • john b.

      Allison, can you please provide details on the accommodations. Thanks

      January 1, 2014

    • Alison O

      sorry about the delay John, email [masked] with subject Ski House Jan. 11" and she will send you details. It's a friendly place.

      January 2, 2014

  • Colin C.


    1 · December 20, 2013

8 went

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy