December's Advent of Code meetup went so well, we're going to do it again! Bring your laptop and we'll all work together to solve another programming puzzle from 2016's Advent of Code.
Lessons learned from last time:
• We'll try to start coding promptly at 6:30.
• Circa 6:15, Arthur O'Dwyer will present a short lightning talk on how to use regexes in modern C++. Based on our past experience with AoC, this is likely to be relevant to the puzzle!
• We'll work in "sprints" of 20 minutes each; even so, solving one puzzle may take two or three sprints.
• Between sprints, we'll do a quick "standup" where people can share progress and talk about their approach to the problem.
• During a 20-minute sprint, people will work singly or in groups, however they want to. Someone will be live-coding on the projector screen. We'll rotate this honor depending on how many people want it.
• Each time the group is ready to declare victory or defeat on a given puzzle, we'll take a short break for "lightning talks" from anyone who solved the puzzle, or who tried an interesting avenue of attack (even if it didn't solve the puzzle).
• Do I have to sign up for AoC in order to participate? No, we'll make sure there's a sample input and output available for people to test against.
• What if I've completely solved all of AoC 2016? Then you'll be a valuable asset to the group! :) (If this actually becomes an issue, we could always grab a puzzle from AoC 2015 instead.)
• Will we be working on puzzle #8 again? No, because Arthur wants a new puzzle. Can I come and just work on puzzle #8 some more anyway? Of course!