Please join us for the sixth of the Orange County ACM Chapter's 2018 bi-monthly evening program series.
6:30 PM Doors Open & Networking
7:00 PM Announcements and Presentation
8:30 PM Meeting Adjourned
High-throughput DNA sequencing has created a revolution in biology and has caused a exponential growth in the amount of biological data currently being generated. This field presents challenges in many fields ranging from biochemistry to computer science to mathematics and statistics. This talk will review how sequence data is generated, some of the standard methods for storing DNA sequence data, one of the earliest challenges of how to align random short segments of DNA to a template genome, and where this technology is likely going in the future.
Michael Weinstein is a bioinformatics scientist at Zymo Research in Irvine and instructor at UCLA. He holds a Ph.D. in human genetics from UCLA and has worked for over 15 years in the laboratory as a scientist. Along with laboratory science, he develops software for the analysis of biological data and his past and current projects include programs designed to discover new inherited mutations, identify potential off-target sites for targeted gene editing in collaboration with Microsoft, identify and rank potential immune therapy targets in cancers, and analyze microbiome data. In addition to biomedical research, he also studies information security and has spoken on web application penetration testing.
This event is co-sponsored by the IEEE Orange County Computer Society.
Venue & Parking
This meeting will instead be held at the Knobbe Martens Irvine offices. Parking validation will be provided to attendees.
We will be utilizing iNK Digital Networking alongside our check-in for the event! This app will help you network easier, faster and more efficiently within the ACM Event. This is optional, but a few simple steps before coming will allow you to exchange your business cards digitally, find better connections, consolidate the info you get, and build upon those relationships all under one roof! Please take a few minutes to set up your profile BEFORE coming into the event.
iNK Sign-up- do this before the event
• Download the app “iNK Digital Networking” via Google Play or iTunes
• Create an account and set-up your business card
• When setting up your business card, don’t forget to include your own keyword affiliations ie: IEEE-ComputerSociety, OC-ACM, SoftwareEngineer, DataScientist etc.
• Once completed, you’re all set to start sharing your contacts, hosting events, and connecting with other iNK-ers
• RSVP by going to ACM in the “event” tab of your iNK app and clicking “RSVP”
iNK Check-in- do this when you ARRIVE at ACM Event (Must have set up your card on iNK to RSVP/Check-in)
• To check-in via iNK, please click “scan” from your iNK homepage screen and wave your phone camera over the QR at the check-in table upon arrival
• See attendees and companies, request digital business cards, build meaningful relationships
• Event search bar allows you to keyword filter attendees and keywords, helping you find those missed connections
• Connect with other attendees by requesting them from the attendee list or scanning their QR from the homepage