What we’re about
A path to
(a) find friends who value clear authentic empathetic communication; and
(b) master your inner world, which leads to:
Leveling up your awareness and EQ for more connection, freedom, harmony, and power.
Please RSVP and change your RSVP to no if your plans change.
What you get while enjoying the company of like-minded people:
Depending on topic and mood: CLEAR, CONCRETE STEPS TO ACHIEVE:
- Curing social anxiety.
- "Thinkers" to better understand "feelers".
- "Feelers" to protect yourself when feeling more than you want to.
- Turning anger into peace.
- Parents to create more connection, understanding, trust, and cooperation with children.
- Increasing cohesion, effectiveness, and efficiency in business environments.
- Learning to be empathetic in crisis.
- Roommates to increase harmony, community, and ease.
- Using empathy in crucial conversations without sounding like a mystic, psychiatrist, or creep.
- Quick and easy conflict mediation that works.
- Amp up your negotiation skills.
(a) Host will at times consciously use judgements/evaluations in a joking way. If you hear him do this but are not sure if he is joking, speak up! He understands his quirky humor can contribute to confusion.
(b) When the group is in "Practical Empathy practice mode," you are free to use whatever you consider empathy or try to use the methods of PE. Either way, for the good of the group's learning, if you say something that is considered a judgement or evaluation, the host may point this out so all can learn. If you worry that the pain from that correction may be too much, this group may not be for you.
Based on Scott's book "Practical Empathy", NVC, Stoicism, Buddhism, and Taoism.
SOME RESOURCES (optional):
- Get the physical card game we play at most meetups: https://clearsay.net/play-to-evolve
- Get the mobile game (w/EmpathyBot a.i.) for increasing your EQ: https://empathybot.net
- Videos, animations, and articles showing NVC / Practical Empathy in action (This is a website created by the group's founder, Scott Swain): http://ClearSay.net. The site is also a resource for Voluntaryism, peaceful parenting, and unschooling. Scott's bio: https://clearsay.net/bio-scott-swain
- Scott's book, Practical Empathy, the book, free: https://peakd.com/c/hive-180595
- Telegram group: https://t.me/nvc_pe_eq
YouTube: If you look up "Center for Nonviolent Communication" or "Marshall Rosenberg", you will find many videos on NVC / Compassionate Communication.
Center for Nonviolent Communication: A group that helps to spread Compassionate Communication around the world: www.cnvc.org
Upcoming events (1)See all
- @ Central Market Cafe: Empathy n AuthenticityCentral Market Cafe, Austin, TX
Join us for some or all of the following, depending on the group mood/interest:
- Conversations that go a bit deeper.
- Meet interesting people.
- Play to Evolve card game.
- Practicing giving/receiving empathy.
- Demonstration/learning of turning arguments into peaceful discussions
Based on Scott's book "A Practical EmPath (PEP)," NVC, Stoicism, and Buddhism.
(1) Be sure to check here (refresh) once you arrive; host will post exact location somewhat last minute. Refresh and look at the "How to find us" section.
(2) Host will at times consciously use judgements/evaluations in a joking way. If you hear him do this but are not sure if he is joking, speak up! He understands his quirky humor can sometimes contribute to confusion.
(3) When the group is in "Practical Empathy practice mode (usually in the game)," you are free to use whatever you consider empathy or try to use the methods of PE. Either way, to stay in integrity with the PE system, if you say something that is considered counter to empathy, the host may point this out so all can learn. If you worry that the pain from that correction may be too much, this group may not be for you. Remember: An important aspect of PE is we are *usually* responsible for our own feelings.
Check here again [and comments] when you arrive, in case of changes due to weather or available space. IF YOU CAN'T FIND US, KEEP LOOKING! SOMETIMES PEOPLE SHOW UP LATE SO IT MAY BE JUST SCOTT OR SMALL GROUP AT FIRST. IF THIS PAGE SAYS THE EVENT IS ON, THEN THE EVENT IS ON.
RESOURCES (NOT NECESSARY TO COME HANG OUT AND ENJOY MEETING INTERESTING PEOPLE)
See the mobile/desktop versions of the physical card game we play most at the group: https://EmpathyBot.net (EB). Especially useful for the online meetings. EB is an ai Scott created that can help learn and practice empathy! A cheap Android version and a free version are available. The physical deck available at https://ClearSay.net or in person.
- Many free NVC-related resources are at https://ClearSay.net, including videos of classes, fun instructional animations by Scott, and articles.
- Scott's book, Practical Empathy: https://clearsay.net/get-the-book-practical-empathy
- Book that started it all (NVC): https://tinyurl.com/r64m25tt
Larken Rose: The Most Dangerous Superstition, Buddhism & Taoism, Four Agreements, Alfie Kohn: Punished by Rewards, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Becky Bailey: Conscious Discipline, et al.